RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Good evening fellow non-robot friends. I am as happy as a tech nerd can be. I just bought a new gaming laptop. Find all the hardware specs below and feel free to comment any suggestions or opinions :)

FYI, many friends I talk to will ask "Hey, didn't you have another gaming laptop? An Acer Predator?", to which I respond: Yes, I used to. Sadly, I've been encountering several issues with, after around 5 years of owning it. Like serious overheating (couldn't be solved with thermal paste change. drivers, cleaning, formatting), serious performance issues (would turn off after 15 minutes of medium/heavy gaming), Wi-Fi card issues (random disconnects and driver dissapearing), battery issues (didn't hold charge at all), and many more issues. After several personal tests, and third party opinions, the cause was: motherboard electrical problem. I decided to sell it like a regular (non gaming) laptop to a family member who will use it connected to ethernet for work stuff. Then I bought this beauty!

1653004327494.png

geminis3

Level 19
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Enjoy your new laptop 🎉, btw how are your temps under load?

PD: Sad to read your mobo got damaged. My Helios 300 still works but I'm experiencing overheating even with turbo boost disabled and random BSODs from time to time (already removed my -100mv undervolt to check if it had something to do with it).

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Enjoy your new laptop 🎉, btw how are your temps under load?

PD: Sad to read your mobo got damaged. My Helios 300 still works but I'm experiencing overheating even with turbo boost disabled and random BSODs from time to time (already removed my -100mv undervolt to check if it had something to do with it).
Temps in this MSI are great, haven't seen it go over 80°C with most heavy games.

As for Helios, I had to undervolt the very first day with ThrottleStop in order to not overheat. Check Youtube for a tutorial on your exact model.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Return to ESET, the robot army needs you 🤖
ESET and I have a strange love-hate relation. I love the AV, because it's highly configurable and you can get great configurations out of HIPS module.

But it's a specific antivirus for specific scenarios. I am a guy (robot) who likes to lock down a PC for maximum security, and I was never able to achieve it with ESET. There's no way to abuse ESET modules to do a solid lockdown , you'll always end up trusting signatures, even when HIPS is configured to "interactive". Still, I recommend it to whoever likes light protection and doesn't ask for much (most medium+ knowledge users will be okay with it).

blackice

Level 36
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It's really hard to find a portable device with this hardware at this price range. 144Hz, 16GB, SSD + HDD, i5 10500H + something better than 3050 4GB; all for $800 or less...
I’m pretty sure no one is getting a 3060 for that price. What you paid actually sounds like a reasonable price.

Last edited: