Jan 1, 2023
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
BitLocker Device Encryption for Windows
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
On
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time security
  • Kaspersky Standard
  • SysHardener
  • Adguard PC (paid)
Firewall security
About custom security
  • Kaspersky managing default-deny protection with APPLICATION CONTROL, which is set to block ALL unknown files, and NOT trust only by existing signature
  • Scripts handling, weak processes and macros handled by SysHardener
  • Adguard protects against ads, malvertising and similar ads-related malware
  • PatchMyPC daily schedule to avoid software vulnerabilities exploitation
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
ESET Online Scanner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome
Built-in Microsoft Edge
Secure DNS
Cloudfare DNS with Malware Protection
Desktop VPN
Windscribe
Password manager
Bitwarden
Maintenance tools
Bleachbit with a script for automated scheduled cleaning
File and Photo backup
OneDrive
System recovery
AOMEI Backup
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Requesting and accepting remote access
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
So this is how I am starting 2022!

I joined the F-Secure hype a couple of days back. My others devices are using Kaspersky and ESET.

I'm keeping it simple all in all, nothing bothering my gaming hours.

My browser is equipped with:
  • uBlock Origin (ads blocking and deep privacy protection)
  • BitDefender TrafficLight
If anything manages to come through, I have SysHardener with modified settings to avoid execution of any kind of script, macro, or use of specific vulnerable processes. If I am being victim of a targeted attack due to my vast knowledge of China's internal security system, I have F-Secure with our beloved DeepGuard taking care of me.

I also protected myself with Cloudfare (malware protection) DNS, and encrypt my connections with Windscribe.

Happy new year!

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
UPDATE February 7th 2022

Removed
: F-Secure SAFE
Added: Norton Antivirus Plus

After careful consideration, I've finally convinced myself to go back to Norton and I paid the anual suscription. The experience is very light and smooth.

Later tonight I will be digging a bit deeper to see what kind of anti-execution software I will add to cover the lack of Application Control. I am open to suggestions!

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
UPDATE February 7th 2022

Removed
: F-Secure SAFE
Added: Norton Antivirus Plus

After careful consideration, I've finally convinced myself to go back to Norton and I paid the anual suscription. The experience is very light and smooth.

Later tonight I will be digging a bit deeper to see what kind of anti-execution software I will add to cover the lack of Application Control. I am open to suggestions!
Are you satisfied with Norton? Is this the best choice for gaming? I see you are using Kaspersky. Kaspersky has a problem with the gaming?

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Are you satisfied with Norton? Is this the best choice for gaming? I see you are using Kaspersky. Kaspersky has a problem with the gaming?
Hi! I am still using Norton Antivirus :)

I am an active gamer, and I haven't had any issues AT ALL with this activity. Norton performs all basic daily tasks such as quick scans, performance optimizations, and more without annoying popups whatsover.
As well, I get no problems with my games launchers, updates, apps or third-party apps.

Like many may know (due to the threads I dedicated to the issue in the past), Kaspersky used to bring me trouble when gaming due to Application Control.
Application Control was the main reason I loved (and still love) Kaspersky, because if well configured it would let me lock down my computer in a way that no file would execute unless extremely trusted, therefore maximazing security. Of course, with security of this type, there is room for false positives, but Kaspersky's AC wouldn't let me whitelist certain applications that kept getting blocked, therefore ruining my gaming experience. These were third party, signed applications (like Blitz) that were complements for games like League of Legends, and let you automatically import runes, for example. Each time this app updated, the executable would get blocked by Kaspersky's AC and needed to be manually unblocked. Lots of methods were tried, lots of paths were whitelisted, support was contacted, support ticket was escalated to Russia, but no solution was ever found. And sadly this wasn't the only gaming app that was giving my trouble. At the end, I decided my user experience was over my sense of security. That's when I moved to another high-end, well-respected and top-tier antivirus that could give me an excellent protection and no issues while gaming.

Although I miss Application Control, I've learned to live without it and replaced it with other applications :)

I am happy with Norton. It's light, non-intrusive, really effective, and Lord it protects :)

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Hi! I am still using Norton Antivirus :)

I am an active gamer, and I haven't had any issues AT ALL with this activity. Norton performs all basic daily tasks such as quick scans, performance optimizations, and more without annoying popups whatsover.
As well, I get no problems with my games launchers, updates, apps or third-party apps.

Like many may know (due to the threads I dedicated to the issue in the past), Kaspersky used to bring me trouble when gaming due to Application Control.
Application Control was the main reason I loved (and still love) Kaspersky, because if well configured it would let me lock down my computer in a way that no file would execute unless extremely trusted, therefore maximazing security. Of course, with security of this type, there is room for false positives, but Kaspersky's AC wouldn't let me whitelist certain applications that kept getting blocked, therefore ruining my gaming experience. These were third party, signed applications (like Blitz) that were complements for games like League of Legends, and let you automatically import runes, for example. Each time this app updated, the executable would get blocked by Kaspersky's AC and needed to be manually unblocked. Lots of methods were tried, lots of paths were whitelisted, support was contacted, support ticket was escalated to Russia, but no solution was ever found. And sadly this wasn't the only gaming app that was giving my trouble. At the end, I decided my user experience was over my sense of security. That's when I moved to another high-end, well-respected and top-tier antivirus that could give me an excellent protection and no issues while gaming.

Although I miss Application Control, I've learned to live without it and replaced it with other applications :)

I am happy with Norton. It's light, non-intrusive, really effective, and Lord it protects :)
Hi Bro!
Thank you for your answer. I thinking about Norton, because i have licence.
And the my last question? Why did you change the F-Secure to Norton?

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
And the my last question? Why did you change the F-Secure to Norton?
System was buggy and somehow the product started giving me slowdowns while everybody was having a super fast experience. It really is something different for each system when it comes to antivirus. It just wasn't the product for me.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
One thing I would recommend specially on Norton more than any other solution is exclude game folders from everything.
Norton had a tendency to somehow start scanning out of nowhere sometimes and if u are unlucky enough to have it kick in whilst gaming on full screen and u don't knotice until it goes into the folder of the game you are playing that's when problems arise.

Although as said above it should always be done to any solution but Norton can be temperamental. I myself have it running and folders of games were first thing I excluded from everything.

Just my two cents

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.