Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Emsisoft Anti-Malware v2019.9, MBAE
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Some game and backup folders are excluded from AV scanning.
Periodic malware scanners
ZAM Beta, Adwcleaner and Malwarebytes.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox, Edge Chromium, Chrome
Maintenance tools
Wise Disk Cleaner, Geek Uninstaller Portable, PatchMyPC Portable, ThrottleStop, WhoCrashed, DriverStoreExplorer, TinyNvidiaUpdateChecker, OOSU10, HWiNFO64, ProcessExplorer, BleachBit, Driver Easy, SUMO
File and Photo backup
Onedrive and Google Backup & Sync
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper.
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Asus Vivo Book R558U i7-7500U, 8GB, 1TB, GTX 940MX

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Interactive generates lot of prompts, after a while, when all your necessary rules are made, you can remove OSA. HIPS are supposed to cover more stuff than anti-exe.

Just practice with it in the meantime.
Yeah prompts are a bit too much for my liking, I am thinking of switching hips to "smart mode" and keeping OSA.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Perfect configuration in my eyes, but I recommend to tone down ESET HIPS to "Smart Mode".

There is no conflict between ESET and OSArmor, so why bother with a loud HIPS? OSArmor is much more user friendly than ESET HIPS at Interactive Mode.

Considering that you use your computer to many tasks, a classical HIPS will annoy you a lot, so if you arent careless (you seem to be an advanced, knowledgeable user) a HIPS or default deny isnt necessary.

Your setup is what I consider the ideal for the home user; powerful, ease of use, non intrusive and light (y)

Last edited:

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
If you are sure your system is clean:

1- learning mode
2- reboot, wait all processes are launched when loading the desktop.
3- execute every programs
4- back to interactive
This
Plus make sure the DNA/Smart Signatures are ENABLED.
You don't need adwcleaner if you have Malwarebytes.
Instead of OSA you can use Syshardener to apply a one time permanent tweaks to your OS.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
This
Plus make sure the DNA/Smart Signatures are ENABLED.
Both are enabled.

You don't need adwcleaner if you have Malwarebytes.
Are you sure about that? cause a thread on Malwarebytes says this..
While both ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes both target PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) as well as some of the same PUMs (Potentially Unwanted Modifications) (i.e. changes to system settings which are possibly made by malware), each program does still detect some things that the other does not. While the last I heard they do still plan to eventually integrate all of the detections/signatures used by ADWCleaner into Malwarebytes, that has not happened yet so ADWCleaner does still detect some items that Malwarebytes does not, though not nearly as many as it once did as Malwarebytes has adopted a more aggressive policy with regards to classifying and detecting items as PUP in recent years, so if you download unknown software/installers etc. frequently which may contain PUPs then it is still a good idea to scan with ADWCleaner occasionally to make sure you didn't accidentally install any PUPs that Malwarebytes may have missed.
It's not very recent (sept 2018) so I don't have any current info about this too.

Instead of OSA you can use Syshardener to apply a one time permanent tweaks to your OS.
Thanks for the suggestion, anything I should be wary of before switching?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Perfect configuration in my eyes, but I recommend to tone down ESET HIPS to "Smart Mode".

There is no conflict between ESET and OSArmor, so why bother with a loud HIPS? OSArmor is much more user friendly than ESET HIPS at Interactive Mode.

Considering that you use your computer to many tasks, a classical HIPS will annoy you a lot, so if you arent careless (you seem to be an advanced, knowledgeable user) a HIPS or default deny isnt necessary.

Your setup is what I consider the ideal for the home user; powerful, ease of use, non intrusive and light (y)
Yup I am switching to smart mode. Thanks for the suggestions and kind words.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Back to Win 10 v1803, I thought v1809 was causing some issues but turns out it was the generic IRST driver (even the win 10 sata driver was causing issues) giving issues like slow boot and sometimes system stuck with 100% disk usage with no actual i/o operations going on, like less than 1MB/s. So back to 1803 with sata drivers from Asus website, no issues for past few days. Will return to ESET if nothing goes wrong.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.