Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana+HMP+EEK
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox+Adguard
Maintenance tools
Wise care 365, Whocrashed, Patch My PC, CCleaner, ThrottleStop, DriverStoreExplorer,
File and Photo backup
Google Backup & Sync
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/rockstarrocks-new-workhorse-laptop.75343/

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
1: Rule of security config: BACKUP ur stuff! :) Aomei, Macrium are good choises. I like your style use "Pasword managers", as a semi-paranoid guy i am, all i have also my head & piece of paper. Well, i think Ccleaner is enough for utilities, but as you like. Pls add HTTPS - Everywhere and that's my part of quick look aroud ur conf.

Thank you for sharing, there will be gurus tell some more soon,,very soon. I'm just a Bug of MT. :p

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Power is useless without control, common sense and security tools are not sufficient to preserve your data in case of disaster due to faults or FUD ransomware attacks.
No system is truly safe without a solid offline backup plan.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
1: Rule of security config: BACKUP ur stuff! :) Aomei, Macrium are good choises. I like your style use "Pasword managers", as a semi-paranoid guy i am, all i have also my head & piece of paper. Well, i think Ccleaner is enough for utilities, but as you like. Pls add HTTPS - Everywhere and that's my part of quick look aroud ur conf.

Thank you for sharing, there will be gurus tell some more soon,,very soon. I'm just a Bug of MT. :p
About that Backup, i sorta do it. I mean i usually work in the cloud (Google docs, MS Office online, etc), sure i keep a local copy of all my files on my pc but i am not sure i would call that a backup. Also i always keep a Bootable USB of latest Windows 10 ready, and if anything appears out of normal(bugs & all) i just nuke the whole system(If i can't fix it by either startup repair or CMD prompt).

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Last edited:

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Using windows image backup now. Thanks for the suggestion.

I use Windows Image as one of my types of backups. I think it's great. One of the things I do with it is it allows me to do a P2V (Physical to Virtual) restore of my machine for testing etc. So in VMware Workstation I boot off the Windows ISO and then do a repair. There are some screens you need to click through but basically you are looking to do a system image restore. Then you plug in an external USB drive with your Windows Image backup on it and point the restore to the folder that contains your image and this will do a full restore of your physical machine in the VM! Such a cool option this! You can test upgrades with this method, new software etc etc.

Oh and I'd push your UAC all the way up to the max setting :)

Reactions: brambedkar59

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
you get used to it. and once u do it once, it doesnt ask again. i just opened vlc player and i got no prompt for permission
So, it sorta learns like CFW and doesn't ask for permission everytime, Good.
I think i am gonna give it a try, and if isn't too annoying then i will keep it.
@ParaXY thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: ispx and frogboy

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
So, it sorta learns like CFW and doesn't ask for permission everytime, Good.
I think i am gonna give it a try, and if isn't too annoying then i will keep it.
@ParaXY thanks for the suggestion.

for me the only time it keeps asking for permission is when running .exe portable files like zemana free and eek. i dont mind because i dont use these very frequently (maybe a couple times a week)

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
for me the only time it keeps asking for permission is when running .exe portable files like zemana free and eek. i dont mind because i dont use these very frequently (maybe a couple times a week)
I didn't get any new notifications, i opened CCleaner, smplayer, firefox and control panel(maybe i will get extra notifications while installing something), all the notifications i am currently getting were already there on default setting. Good for now:)

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Update 15/05/17: 360 TSE replaced with 360 TS (because it provides slightly better protection and faster program updates, still w/o BD & Avira), Noscript removed (made FF sluggish sometimes), Avira Browser Safety replaced with Norton Safe Web (NSW blocked some sketchy web pages which ABS failed to do so).

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Update 24/5/17: Removed 360TS (had some BSODs, don't know exact cause, none since removal) and replaced by ZAL (from Giveaway), added MCshield and Wise care 365.
Will try it for few days, then see how it behaves. PS, it's super light

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Changes: UAC changed from 'Always Notify' =>'Default', Comodo Web Filtering turned OFF,
Removed: Norton Safe web, MCShield
Added: SuperAntiSpyware, Lastpass, WhoCrashed

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.