Mar 3, 2019
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
At this moment I am using Panda Free AV, Webroot, and Windows Firewall Control.

My browser is Chrome.

I use the following:
Agguard,
Keyscrambler Premium,
NoVirus System Hardner,
Start MenuX,
Clipmate,
Last Pass,
Ant Downloader,
PatchMyPC,
Norton PE (for on demand)
and Macrium Reflect.
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Cylance, Webroot, and Norton PE (for on demand)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome, with no redirect, adguard
Maintenance tools
None at moment, would use Pegasun System Utility 5 (NICE)
OR
Kerish Dr.
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect Home
System recovery
Macrium Home
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Asrock X470
Ryzen 2700X
Geforce RTX 2070
Corsair DDR4 4x8 32g 3000MHz
NVMe M.2

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
I am just testing this, and wanted to report my results here. My quest starts with wanting to come from many angles and stay as light as possible.

So here is what I did, and the order of installation, with a note concerning it's effect on my PC, beside each, and an image made after each one, using Macrium.

1). Cylance. (LIGHT).
2). Heimdal Thor Foresight. (LIGHT)
3). Eset 32 AV. (LIGHTER)... (I know what your thinking, but even after 3 installs, Eset being last so far, apps open quicker).
4). MWBAM "Premium" w/ Full Time Protection On. (Tiny Bit SLOWER now)... I hesitated here, wasn't sure I needed it or wanted it...

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
It's not clear to me whether you have the 4 SWs installed together or those are 4 different scenarios.
If the latter, ok, your choice would probably be: go for ESET.
If the former, I wouldn't call it "layered approach", all of them cover one point only (AV), while you have other layers uncovered (FW for example)

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I'm assuming you're testing each software and uninstalling the prior AV you had installed?

This is also my mantra about layered security, be as light as possible with the most robust protection I can get. My setup currently is Zemana Antilogger Premium w/ Webroot + Malwarebytes Firewall Control + Syshardener w/ advanced settings, Configure Defender/Hard Configure.

I use ZAL based off the fact that Webroot isn't the best for stopping Malware, but my hypothesis here is Webroot is more pro-AV and ZAL is more pro-Anti-Malware, plus both I got for free, but still within my mantra of light & robust.

I do like how you have been testing each software. But you need to think about security with the light aspect too, it's in the good sauce to think about taking the load off your system, but don't sacrifice great protection in order to achieve lightest combo going.

~LDogg

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I am just testing this, and wanted to report my results here. My quest starts with wanting to come from many angles and stay as light as possible.

So here is what I did, and the order of installation, with a note concerning it's effect on my PC, beside each, and an image made after each one, using Macrium.

1). Cylance. (LIGHT).
3). Eset 32 AV. (LIGHTER)... (I know what your thinking, but even after 3 installs, Eset being last so far, apps open quicker).
4). MWBAM "Premium" w/ Full Time Protection On. (Tiny Bit SLOWER now)... I hesitated here, wasn't sure I needed it or wanted it...

Is Cylance known as a compatible anti-virus?

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
my current setup is as light & secure as id ever need.

VoodooShield + Shadow Defender (Always in Shadow Mode)

35mb Ram > 4 Processes (2 each)

Block All > No Signatures > No Real Time scanning or Scans in general

Cheap too, Voodooshield is free (although i use pro just to support dev) & ShadowDefender is a low priced Lifetime licence.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
my current setup is as light & secure as id ever need.

VoodooShield + Shadow Defender (Always in Shadow Mode)

35mb Ram > 4 Processes (2 each)

Block All > No Signatures > No Real Time scanning or Scans in general

Cheap too, Voodooshield is free (although i use pro just to support dev) & ShadowDefender is a low priced Lifetime licence.
The qualm I have with VDS is the fact it's App Whitelisting, I'm not a massive fan of software such as this. Even blocked ProcessExplorer and ProcessHacker xD. But for individuals who have a good knowledge of processes and software execution this would be a valuable bit if kit to employ on their system.

~LDogg

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
It may run light on your machine, but this setup is far from being optimized and lean; there is too much redundancy and the layers are almost all about signatures (stacking security solutions together doesnt make a "layered combo")

A much better and lean setup would be:

1. ESET NOD32 with PUP enabled (it covers the malware landscape much better than Heimdal Thor Foresight/MalwareBytes Premium)
  2. NoVirus Thanks OSArmor
  3. NoVirus SysHarderner (zero weight, just tweaks)
  4. Patch My PC (free software updater)
  5. Backup Solution
  6. Chromium based browser with a password manager and an Adblocker (uBlock Origin)

Deckard

Level 1
Verified
Feb 20, 2019
Is Cylance known as a compatible anti-virus?
The question should be rather: are these heavy, mastodons, instrusives antivirus, breaking the SSL connection, tirelessly rescanning the same file after each new signature-based update, again and again, are compatible with Cylance?
You have the answer here:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
It may run light on your machine, but this setup is far from being optimized and lean; there is too much redundancy and the layers are almost all about signatures (stacking security solutions together doesnt make a "layered combo")

A much better and lean setup would be:

1. ESET NOD32 with PUP enabled (it covers the malware landscape much better than Heimdal Thor Foresight/MalwareBytes Premium)
  2. NoVirus Thanks OSArmor
  3. NoVirus SysHarderner (zero weight, just tweaks)
  4. Patch My PC (free software updater)
  5. Backup Solution
  6. Chromium based browser with a password manager and an Adblocker (uBlock Origin)

Yes, this is it.

This will provide you both lighter and better protection.... covering all the surface area.

Heimdal is not that great. Testing here (search on @Evjl's Rain) demonstrates the filtering of Heimdal is not as good as other products. And the 'exploit protection' is better covered by Patch My PC.

Generally, the best products make sure they get tested... as they want to show the world how good they are. The less-than-great products avoid testing. Yes, Heimdal has been around for quite a while and has elected not to be tested.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

1). Cylance. (LIGHT).
@RodM1956 None of the 4 are particularly strong protection.
At least Eset is a solid AV, if not the best. So use Eset, and add something else to it, like Syshardener or OSarmor or Hard_Configurator, or maybe Voodooshield if you like it, or Comodo Firewall, or whatever. The strongest "extra" with the lowest performance penalty is Hard_Configurator.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Using ESET Internet Security + VoodooShield Pro here and all is well. If you want lightness, MBAM isn't the way to go. Thor Foresight isn't bad but realistically not worth the money as you've got ESET with some of the best web filtration a home user can get with Zvelo, and paying for ESET NOD32 + Cylance or Thor doesn't seem logical to me. ESET and Voodoo is plenty, and like others have suggested SysHardener and Hard_Configurator are amazing tools.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I agree with a lot of the above posters have typed about. ESET with App White listing or even OSArmor is fantastic with Syshardener.

~LDogg

Deckard

Level 1
Verified
Feb 20, 2019
...paying for ESET NOD32 + Cylance or Thor doesn't seem logical to me...
This is what I am testing today.
NOD32 is known to be very light. It's also, for what I kwow, the first full 64-bit AV on the market; and since long time.
They are known to have a light and optimized AV and want to keep this longstanding reputation, I suppose.

An interesting point: during the Eset Internet Security installation, the soft checks for possible incompatibilities. The presence of Cylance did not raise any comment from the Eset installer .

As NOD32 has never been really good for me concerning the detection, adding a 'booster' for detections not seem to me absurd. Logic about buying and spending money, that's another topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As NOD32 has never been really good for me concerning the detection, adding a 'booster' for detections not seem to me absurd
But there will be a performance penalty if you have two real-time protections of the AV type.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
The best layers of security for me would be virtualization and anti-exe /o SRP and Frewall.
And signatures.
So I think Comodo Firewall with Cs configuration. They have three of the four that would be the 1-Sanbox and also acts as a 2-Anti-exe and a 3-Firewall. Therefore, only the missing signatures can choose an AV in real time or on demand. Simple and lightweight

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.