RollBack RX: Is it really as clean as Macrium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
I have a 2 part question...

1).

If I do a clean install of windows 10, then I make a backup with Macrium, and this becomes my base.

Then I ad some software, but I decide I am not happy, and want to go back to my base, when I restore that backup and especially if I choose not to use "Rapid Delta Restore"...

Then this restored backup is EXACTLY the same, just as clean as when I originally installed Windows 10. Right?

2).

Same scenario as above, but this time after I do my clean install of Windows 10, I install RollbackRX

Then I add some software, I decide I'm not happy I rollback to the previous state (the clean install)...

Is the restore with Rollback as clean as if I use Macrium?

*If you say yes, then I must ask, you mean there is not even any residue in the registry from the software installs?

IF SO How is that possible since Rollback RX happens to restore so quickly?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I have a 2 part question...

1).

If I do a clean install of windows 10, then I make a backup with Macrium, and this becomes my base.
Then I ad some software, but I decide I am not happy, and want to go back to my base, when I restore that backup and especially if I choose not to use "Rapid Delta Restore"...
Then this restored backup is EXACTLY the same, just as clean as when I originally installed Windows 10. Right?

Yes indeed

2).

Same scenario as above, but this time after I do my clean install of Windows 10, I install RollbackRX
Then I add some software, I decide I'm not happy I rollback to the previous state (the clean install)...
Is the restore with Rollback as clean as if I use Macrium?

YES

*If you say yes, then I must ask, you mean there is not even any residue in the registry from the software installs?

Nope

IF SO How is that possible since Rollback RX happens to restore so quickly?

because it is Magic !!!!!! :p

RX when you install it, create snapshots of your partitions somewhere in the drive, those will become in fact your "real partition" , all writes that supposed to be directed to the original partition are in fact redirected to those snapshots. a bit like Shadow Defender.
Now for the speed , those snapshots are not partitions so fast and easy to restore.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
[QUOTE="Rod McCarthy, post: 519781, member: 28905"

IF SO How is that possible since Rollback RX happens to restore so quickly?[/QUOTE]

Macrium uses imaging technology, Rx - snapshots. So Rx is quicker but Macrium is more secure as you can keep your images out of the PC. Rx keeps all snapshots on your PC hard drive. If MBR (or any of the boot staff) is ruined then Rx most probably will crash and you can restore your PC only with imaging programs like Macrium.

So it's a good idea to have imaging and snapshot programs together. Especially if you manage to make your imaging prog to restore PC to the state with restorable snapshots. Though I didn't go so far. I have basic images with Paragon and Macrium which were taken before installation of a snapshot program.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Yea exacly Snapshots are not safe as typical clone/backup disk but work more quick and they are more friendly.

Im using, made just backup 2 images
1)Clean fresh system updated
2)Configured with all soft which i gonne use whole life^^

No need more :)

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
I install Win 10, then all my fav software, but no internet security software, then make my BU with Macrium and then I install Rollback.

So I figure if my pc slows down or starts acting weird, because of Rollback I can delete all partitions and install the image I made with Macrium and then reinstall Rollback.

By the way, I have a SSD 500 gig...

Rollback is just there for those times when I want to try out some software, and if I don't like it, then I'll do a rollback back.

This is my first time using a rollback software, so far PC is fast as ever, but I have no experience as this is my first day with it.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
How does RBRX handle MS updates?

If I have to turn RollBack off / uninstall it for Win 10 Upgrades, what about Win 10 updates.

I have Win 10 set to update automatically...

How do I find out when Windows has released updates or upgrades?

Lastly will Horizon Data allow frequent and multiple installs of RollBack RX?

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
How does RBRX handle MS updates?
If I have to turn RollBack off / uninstall it for Win 10 Upgrades, what about Win 10 updates.
I have Win 10 set to update automatically...

Good if only updates, if you have an upgrade that will touch the MBR , like the one coming in august, RX must be uninstalled first. In some machines soem MS updates wreak havoc, but it never happened to me.

How do I find out when Windows has released updates or upgrades?

Windows major update usually ask for reboot.

Lastly will Horizon Data allow frequent and multiple installs of RollBack RX?

on same machine yes, i think their licensing system is based on your hardware.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Good if only updates, if you have an upgrade that will touch the MBR , like the one coming in august, RX must be uninstalled first. In some machines soem MS updates wreak havoc, but it never happened to me.

Windows major update usually ask for reboot.

on same machine yes, i think their licensing system is based on your hardware.

Thanks that helps lots.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
System image are more handy and convenient as you can keep somewhere and easy to access for retrieving it.

Meanwhile snapshots are more on instant base which better to place on your system at all times in case of emergency.

So both of them can be use interchangebly but with safety concern as mentioned in previous post.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
It's done because Rollback puts itself outside your OS. It's not quite 'off-site' like a disk image, but unlike a WSR Restore Point, it's not going to be in Ground Zero for an attack.

People say disk images are safer, of course. Not to come off like a asshat but if you have a disk image on a USB that hugs your neck on a lanyard at all times, that's pretty safe.

You're treating this like an 'either or' situation. You might want to check out Drive Cloner Rx, it's an imaging tool like Macrium but it supports Rollback and it's snapshot data. Might not be for you, but if you want the speed of Rollback and the durability of a disk imager with no compromises for both, check it out.

Reactions: Rod McCarthy
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
It's done because Rollback puts itself outside your OS. It's not quite 'off-site' like a disk image, but unlike a WSR Restore Point, it's not going to be in Ground Zero for an attack.

People say disk images are safer, of course. Not to come off like a asshat but if you have a disk image on a USB that hugs your neck on a lanyard at all times, that's pretty safe.

You're treating this like an 'either or' situation. You might want to check out Drive Cloner Rx, it's an imaging tool like Macrium but it supports Rollback and it's snapshot data. Might not be for you, but if you want the speed of Rollback and the durability of a disk imager with no compromises for both, check it out.

Thanks

Reactions: JHomes
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.