Rolo's Desktop (Zaphod) Config (All Free)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I vet any new software by testing and analyzing it on my sheep-dip virtual machine.

VirtualBox is far more user-friendly and capable for this than Hyper-V; Hyper-V is a royal pain to use for this purpose.

Bitdefender Free is light and effective.

Panda Free has too many problems (stops working, cripples system)
Qihoo has too many false-positives for my taste.
AVG is too heavy and I've encountered enough infected machines with a perfectly functioning AVG to give me pause.
Avast routinely has compatibility problems and why I won't recommend or use it on an operational system.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Great config, a light one!
You can let go of WOT since uBlock and BD free will do a great job in that place.
How about using Windows FW Control from Binisoft to get control of WFW and prevent apps from auto-sandbox rules/exceptions etc..
Otherwise, set of tools and using cloud backups = great choice.

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Looks really good! Maybe try switching from BD to Avast! What is Netcraft? I have heard of Metadefender but wouldn't it be less strain just to scan the file with VT? Thanks for sharing! :)

Reactions: Rolo and aragornnnn

Rolo

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You can let go of WOT since uBlock and BAD free will do a great job in that place.

I started using WoT because uBO didn't block fake sites for me or my clients like I assumed it would. (I don't have all lists enabled since some break sites, so I'm mostly on default settings). I decided on WoT over other reputation extensions because it was the only one to flag the fake sites we've actually encountered. I'm really disappointed in the reputable extensions for missing these and in Google for having these sites on their top 10 hits and not blocked.

How about using Windows FW Control from Binisoft to get control of WFW and prevent apps from auto-sandbox rules/exceptions etc..
Otherwise, set of tools and using cloud backups = great choice.
I tried it a long time ago but the constant prompts/breaking connections annoyed me to where it wasn't worth it (which would be any similar product, nothing against WFC). Windows Firewall already stops outbound connections from unknown/questionable sources and prompts the user and I'm comfortable with configuring anything else manually. I don't want a blanket default-deny, which Windows Firewall already has that option.

However, having said that, I think I will give it another shot and spend more time with it. Thanks for the suggestion. Look at that, it was updated just 2 days ago...

Maybe try switching from BD to Avast!
Avast broke stuff too many times; that's why I quit using it on production machines. The giant nags are also why I don't recommend it to clients (not sure if it still does that though). I do use the full 1-year trial on my sheep-dip VM, so I am using it for one leading purpose. If it blows up the VM, I can always roll it back or switch to another VM until they release a fix.

What is Netcraft?
Install it and see! I just started using it 'cos one of the gurus here (Spawn? Umbra?) uses it. It reminds me of another extension I used about a decade ago but I don't remember what it's called. It also transitions from LastPass Red to Grammarly Green on the toolbar quite nicely. ;)

I have heard of Metadefender but wouldn't it be less strain just to scan the file with VT?
No. Metadefender has an "automatic" option, so I don't have to do anything. I'm a big fan of "not doing anything" and yet getting superior results--it doesn't require discipline and discipline is a finite resource.

As soon as I download something, another tab opens with Metadefender scanning the file. I can't say I see a difference between it and VT as far as scans/engines go. 40+ engines...how much distinction could there possibly be? (and seriously...did they really reinvent the wheel here?)

Winizsol

Level 2
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
I vet any new software by testing and analyzing it on my sheep-dip virtual machine.

VirtualBox is far more user-friendly and capable for this than Hyper-V; Hyper-V is a royal pain to use for this purpose.

Bitdefender Free is light and effective.

Panda Free has too many problems (stops working, cripples system)
Qihoo has too many false-positives for my taste.
AVG is too heavy and I've encountered enough infected machines with a perfectly functioning AVG to give me pause.
Avast routinely has compatibility problems and why I won't recommend or use it on an operational system.
Great config, thanks for sharing

Reactions: Rolo

Rolo

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I'd forgotten I have GlassWire Basic from beta testing a long time ago. I ditched it because it kept hanging. I reinstalled it yesterday and it's working nicely so far.

Note that GlassWire is *NOT* a firewall; it is a monitoring tool and Windows Firewall "controller". Windows Firewall is very good at knowing when to ask if a program should be allowed through it without constant nagging or breaking legitimate software. Unless one is building a hardened system, anything more than this is unnecessary and even if one were to build a hardened system, Windows Firewall is the way to go (it was designed to be configured either way: user-friendly or implicit deny).

I added PatchMyPC to utilities: it caught an update available for AdblockPlusIE.

I moved "Windows Defender Limited Periodic Scanning" to Real-Time since it's closer to that than On-Demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.