Router logs - advice?

vgchat

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2013
Hi so I've been looking through my router logs. Anything to worry about? Advice for logs like this?

Firewall Log

Last edited:
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Judging from the logs you are running a Docsis type router right? If thats the case then the blocked SYNC floods are just communications from your ISP to your router which most Docsis based routers have a problem with.
If you want to have better logs you can use a third party program to fetch your logs and show them in a more graphical way like PRTG (paessler.com) but how much this is going to help you i dunnot know since Docsis type routers have limited options.

Anyway next time you post a log, please add a text file rather then copy pasting the log like this.
Cheers

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Nico@FMA is right, but I would buy a better router first and foremost.
PRTG works better with a better quality router ;)

vgchat

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2013
We do have a docsis 3 modem. Hooked up to that is a new (bought it yesterday) Belkin 1600 DB router. So I suppose it's a docsis router, I'm not sure.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
We do have a docsis 3 modem. Hooked up to that is a new (bought it yesterday) Belkin 1600 DB router. So I suppose it's a docsis router, I'm not sure.

Then use your ISP router in gateway mode (Pass trough), While your Belkin is in DHCP mode. But do keep in mind that your ISP router might cause problems since the firmware is probably written for your ISP. And your Belkin is probably not.
So see the documentation if this setup works for you.

Cheers

Reactions: DardiM

vgchat

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2013
I have no options to toggle anything on the modem side. Using:

Code:
System:    ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 Touchstone WideBand Cable Modem
HW_REV: 1
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.62
SW_REV: 7.5.125
MODEL: CM820A

And it is locked to where only they can make changes to it. The router on the other hand I can do what I want with it.

vgchat

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2013
I would but I can't. My isp has the settings on lockdown so that only they can edit it (it's theirs anyways). JSYK, I'm using vyve broadband.
In order to access advanced features you must enter the password of the day:

Our "basic" menu lets us see the following menus though.

• Status
  • HW/FW Versions
  • Event Log
  • CM State

vgchat

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2013
Question though, those seem to be targetting my pc's ip address. Should I just get a firewall instead of jacking with router settings instead?

Alright im back to post an update. So my computer is off and has been for a while now. Here is the interesting part, I went to check the logs on my phone and still it reports those syn flood attacks directed at my desktops IP address. But again... Its off right now....

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.