Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Hi everyone,

As per recommendation here are my current specs.
I'm looking into replacing Malwarebytes as I've had an issue with the lifetime licenses I purchased on Amazon UK and I'm not sure it'll be solved.

Any security recommendations are welcome, so please let me know.

Thanks!

Reactions: viktik
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Very nice Configuration,But I recommend that you stick with Malwarebytes,I my self can not do without it and Bitdefender Total Security.
I know many not will agree on the Malwarebytes angle,but I have tried it in action on high danger sites and I have no infection yet;)

Reactions: SpectacularTheDude

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not Easy To Hack:

Databases are encrypted and cannot be accessed without the master password. If you forget your master password, you lose your passwords, likewise a "hacker" cannot see your passwords in the event of a server breach.

Security Guidelines:
  • Create a complex master password (8+ characters) containing Capital and small letters, Symbols, Digits and Randomisation that only you know
  • Prevent unauthorised access with 2nd Factor Authentication, or Multi-Authentication
  • Prevent access to database from foreign countries, Tor network nodes, mobile apps and devices
  • Limit the amount of active sessions allowed to use the Password database
  • Password Manager apps have auto-logout on idle, PIN or Fingerprint log-in, re-prompt master password and a whole array of security options.
  • Run the security challenge to check for compromised credentials, weak or duplicated passwords
  • and many many more features...
Advanced Management Features:
  • Auto-change password in one-click without needing to worry about changing your password for each site. For example, LastPass will take you step-by-step to show you it's progress - and that is does work!
  • Generate passwords on-the-go and one-click to save sites etc.
upload_2017-1-26_11-26-47.png upload_2017-1-26_11-19-41.png
How you manage your credentials:
Whether you use LastPass, Enpass, Keepass or other, following the above tips will help you stay secure and browse worry-free. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Microsoft Edge / IE and other browser offer to save your passwords, and more recently they generate passwords too.

Please correct any information that I may be wrong.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
uBlock Origin is not an Ad-Blocker, but a (general-purpose or..) content blocker that is able to block ads and still do more | Link

Examples for iOS - Focus by Firefox | 1Blocker can block trackers, scripts, web beacons and even ads to further enhanced your online privacy experience.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Examples for iOS - Focus by Firefox | 1Blocker can block trackers, scripts, web beacons and even ads to further enhanced your online privacy experience.

So what should I get for Firefox? those seem to only exist for IOS. Maybe I didn't understand correctly what you wanted to say?

Very nice Configuration,But I recommend that you stick with Malwarebytes,I my self can not do without it and Bitdefender Total Security.
I know many not will agree on the Malwarebytes angle,but I have tried it in action on high danger sites and I have no infection yet;)

I'll have to see what the Malwarebytes team is able to do or not in my situation. I'm not going to pay 39.99€ per computer every year...I have 3 to maintain safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Good security config, you can replace Malwarebytes with Zemana Antimalware or Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

My opinion about password managers: they save our data locally, on the hard disk so they are, under a certain point of view, relatively safe. However, there is also the possibility to save the passwords on a remote server but, to be really safe, they should never store the master password that should remain known only to us. The confidentiality of our password in the cloud should be based on the demonstration of "zero-knowledge": those data can be read only by us and not by any server administrator, without we know nothing. Then it is useful to know that, in the case of severe security flaws of these cloud systems, our password may be exposed.

However, the password managers tend to be more secure and well implemented, but they are not solutions to be used in "exclusive mode" for the management of our passwords: it is not advisable to rely on only one of these apps, because losing control of it, we can lose all our credentials.
Very important passwords like banking accounts should be written on paper and put in the drawer, from my point if view.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Are you considering upgrading to Windows 10 in the future?
I would also consider Zemana Antimalware and or Emsisoft Emergency Kit for on demand scanners.
I would consider some type of system & data backup solution.
Macrium Reflect & AOMEI Backupper offer good free options.
Nice config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Are you considering upgrading to Windows 10 in the future?
I would also consider Zemana Antimalware and or Emsisoft Emergency Kit for on demand scanners.
I would consider some type of system & data backup solution.
Macrium Reflect & AOMEI Backupper offer good free options.
Nice config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

I'll avoid Windows 10 for now, possibly later I'll get it...or migrate to Linux.
Thanks for the other suggestions.

Any suggestions for Firefox addons?

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Hey I was wondering about the Firewall.
I have KIS installed so that's a 3rd party firewall, right? OR 3rd party means another different specialized software just for that?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hey I was wondering about the Firewall.
I have KIS installed so that's a 3rd party firewall, right? OR 3rd party means another different specialized software just for that?
KIS has a firewall and it's third party firewall
you can consider removing malwarebytes. It's really useful if you have KIS
firefox addon: avira browser safety. You can add some filters to your ublock origin in this thread: How-to Guide - Free System-wide Adblocking without Adguard

Reactions: SpectacularTheDude

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
KIS has a firewall and it's third party firewall
you can consider removing malwarebytes. It's really useful if you have KIS
firefox addon: avira browser safety. You can add some filters to your ublock origin in this thread: How-to Guide - Free System-wide Adblocking without Adguard
Thanks! Those extra filters for uBlock Origin sound good!

I couldn't find some of the exact names in that recommended filters list. Have the Global Lists changed in the meantime since you created that thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.