Russia Imposes 358 Million USD Fine On Google For Not Removing "Banned" Info

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
A court in Moscow has imposed a fine of $358 million (21 billion rubles) on Google LLC for failing to restrict access to information considered prohibited in the country.

More specifically, according to an announcement by Roskomnadzor, Russia's internet watchdog, Google, and its subsidiary YouTube, have failed to remove the following materials even after multiple requests from the Russian IT controller:

• Information about the course of the "special military operation" in Ukraine, which discredits the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
  • Content promoting extremism and terrorism.
  • Content promoting harmful acts for the life and health of minors.
  • Information that promotes participation in unauthorized mass actions.

Google status in Russia

Following the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the sweeping anti-fake news laws enacted in the country, the Russian Google subsidiary, Google LLC, was forced to file for bankruptcy, claiming incapacity to continue business after a series of massive fines and, ultimately, asset confiscation.

Google's non-paid services in Russia remain accessible, albeit with some restrictions, but firms or individuals can purchase no advertising campaigns in the country.
Another source.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
The way I read it though: Russia is trying to collect from an LLC that filed for bankruptcy. What are the Russians trying to do, wring blood from a stone? I don't see the main Google whipping out the ol' checkbook for this either.

Hope I read this right, though.
:unsure::coffee:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.