Russia may start banning VPNs

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
According to certain online sources, the Russian government is working on a bill which requires VPNs and other anonymizing services to stop providing access to blocked domains. If they don’t, they will also end up being blocked. Search engines are also on the black list if they link to the banned websites.

Read More. Russia may start banning VPNs

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
It sure is, I think the right phrase may be almost non-existent freedom. :(
Yes, to implement the censorship, the control of information is a fundamental requirement.
Once the technological infrastructure is set up, it takes a moment to "press the button" and implement the filtering and censorship of information and to put in place such infrastructure is the first, crucial step towards censorship.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
You have to made your "own" freedom. Maybe pointless post, i can't explain it better forum like this.

Reactions: frogboy

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
One can argue that banning VPN is against freedom of its users which is true in one level but considering that many people exploit the VPN networks for illegal activities, it is difficult to criticize the government move of banning the service as well o_O

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
One can argue that banning VPN is against freedom of its users which is true in one level but considering that many people exploit the VPN networks for illegal activities, it is difficult to criticize the government move of banning the service as well o_O
Fair point but I would suggest most VPN users just use one for privacy, I know I do because my Government collects all MetaData and stores it for two years and I do not do anything illegal. ;)

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Fair point but I would suggest most VPN users just use one for privacy, I know I do because my Government collects all MetaData and stores it for two years and I do not do anything illegal. ;)

Yes, most VPN users use the service for legitimate purposes the problem is those people who misuse VPN services often use it for very dangerous activities like terrorism, spy activities for rival nations etc those few people act is enough to throw sand towards all legitimate VPN service users soup.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Yes, most VPN users use the service for legitimate purposes the problem is those people who misuse VPN services often use it for very dangerous activities like terrorism, spy activities for rival nations etc those few people act is enough to throw sand towards all legitimate VPN service users soup.
I think you're more thinking of people who torrent cracked software or script-kiddies using it to launch attacks and hide their communications rather than the other activities mentioned. Legitimate terrorists and spies don't use commercial VPNs and would put way too much at risk by doing so. Trusting that the VPN provider won't spill the beans on your activity when an intelligence agency comes knocking just because it says "No logs" in its privacy policy offers way too much opportunity for exposure.
We've already seen that VPN providers who claim to offer anonymity disregard that notion and willingly cooperate with law enforcement.

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
but considering that many people exploit the VPN networks for illegal activities, it is difficult to criticize the government move of banning the service as well o_O

I was of the impression that more people use VPNs to evade restrictions by repressive governments than for criminality.

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
If they ban the usage of VPN services it will be mainly because of terrorism. Russia faces far more threats then it seems and their FSB and other security services are overwhelmed with tasks to solve.

Also there is economic issue, that Russia wants it's own services to be sold to their Internet users. That's why the Yandex sued google and such. Russia is growing market so why give money to forin companies when you have yours.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well there's a lot of reason why Russia will block like VPN; and simply due to numerous historical issues.

Russia has already suffered conflicts and everything wants to be under controlled. Nearly same fate like in North Korea.

You could call it Neo-Sovietism, but that would be a stretch and isn't really fair. Governments the world-over want to exactly the same thing - if not introduce even greater controls. VPNs and encryption of all types have been on the radar for a long time.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Encryption and VPN and other similar services are necessary due to grose negligence of the government in any country. Overstepping authorities given to them led the way to mass usage of encryption. On the other hand it makes resolving crime and terrorism so difficult that it is understandable why security services want to create backdors or ban usage of encryption and VPN. Also government's stoped resolving the main causes for crime and terrorism and focused on end solutions which doesn't have desired effect.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.