Russia successfully disconnected from the internet

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
The Russian government announced on Monday that it concluded a series of tests during which it successfully disconnected the country from the worldwide internet.
The tests were carried out over multiple days, starting last week, and involved Russian government agencies, local internet service providers, and local Russian internet companies.
The goal was to test if the country's national internet infrastructure -- known inside Russia as RuNet -- could function without access to the global DNS system and the external internet.
Internet traffic was re-routed internally, effectively making Russia's RuNet the world's largest intranet.
The government did not reveal any technical details about the tests and what exactly they consisted of. It only said that the government tested several disconnection scenarios, including a scenario that simulated a hostile cyber-attack from a foreign country.
The experiment was deemed a success, the government said in a press conference today.

"It turned out that, in general, that both authorities and telecom operators are ready to effectively respond to possible risks and threats and ensure the functioning of the Internet and the unified telecommunication network in Russia," said Alexei Sokolov, deputy head of the Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media, as cited by multiple Russian news agencies [1, 2, 3, 4].

Sokolov said the results of the tests would be presented to President Putin next year.
LONG-PLANNED TESTS
The successful tests are a culmination of multiple years of planning, law-making from the Russian government, and physical modifications to Russia's local internet infrastructure.
The tests were initially scheduled for April this year but were delayed until this fall, to give the Kremlin more time to pass an accompanying law.Called the "internet sovereignty" law, it grants the Russian government the power to disconnect the country from the rest of the internet at will and with little explanation, on the grounds of "national security."
To do this, the law mandates that all local internet service providers re-route all internet traffic through strategic chokepoints under the management of Russia's Communications Ministry.
These chokepoints can serve as a gigantic flip-switch for Russia's external internet connectivity, but they can also function as an internet surveillance apparatus, similar to China's Great Firewall technology, as many privacy advocates have pointed out.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
Thanks for sharing the news. From what i'm reading, it seems that Russia did a military training to see if their network infrastructures would be functional in the eventuality of a cyber attack, which all countries should do considering the state of the internet nowadays.

I can't wait to see the mainstream media twist the news and make it sound like Russia is planning to leave the internet, isolate itself from the rest of the world North Korea style in order to focus even more and their evil plot of hacking/spying/destabilizing the rest of the world :LOL:

Of course i'm being sarcastic, but there are people that actually believe what the media are saying 🤣

CCJW

Level 1
Dec 16, 2019
This decision will affect Kaspersky? Should Kaspersky leave Russia? Will this decision also affect the business of the private companies there? We will see the trends - Pro or against.

Reactions: DDE_Server

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
It is only an essay, because of a possible external attack. Man has a great capacity and the world would be different if war were not thought so much, if not in Humanity.
(This is what I think about this news)

L

Local Host

This decision will affect Kaspersky? Should Kaspersky leave Russia? Will this decision also affect the business of the private companies there? We will see the trends - Pro or against.
You assume Kaspersky uses their Russian infrastructure outside Russia, which is not the case for EU at least, so it wouldn't affect Kaspersky whasoever.
Thanks for sharing the news. From what i'm reading, it seems that Russia did a military training to see if their network infrastructures would be functional in the eventuality of a cyber attack, which all countries should do considering the state of the internet nowadays.

I can't wait to see the mainstream media twist the news and make it sound like Russia is planning to leave the internet, isolate itself from the rest of the world North Korea style in order to focus even more and their evil plot of hacking/spying/destabilizing the rest of the world :LOL:

Of course i'm being sarcastic, but there are people that actually believe what the media are saying 🤣
As you said,
Nothing surprised , dictatorship countries hate Freedom , same as this action happened in Iran (Internet shutdown for 7days!)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.