P

plat1098

That being said, if i where Russian, i would never use Norton, McAfee, Webroot and such for the same reasons. Ultimately, whatever is your nationality, using more neutral companies that aren't especially involved with any government is best. Emsisoft and F-Secure are the best in that regard.
If you were Russian, you might be "obliged" to give up far more than your antivirus. It's Microsoft. :censored:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
USA and Rusia the biggest contry of Spying.. mysellf pepoles in country and not only myself :D
Im wonder how the f.... USA let our biggest enemy let work for them hahaha...

Reactions: bribon77

Slyguy

Level 40
This "news" are kinda shady for me.
First US bans Kaspersky products and now they're trying to raise paranoja by telling people that Kaspersky products are unsafe.
Shame on US. I will buy some KIS licenses just to show my support.
Keen observation my friend. You've discovered one of the methodologies used by intelligence.. PRS - problem, reaction, solution.

1) Problem - they create the problem. Either a false flag, event of some type, or controversy. They drum up the problem as loud as possible.
2) Reaction - they work to formulate the public reaction, to stir emotions, to push reactionary responses.
3) Solution - they step in with the solution they desire, perfectly catered to the problem they created, designed to temper the reaction they've stoked.

Observant ones will note Kaspersky subverted their agenda quite nicely by releasing a competent free product to the world. Forcing the US Intel to double back and have to start working the problem over again.

motox781

Level 7
Verified
As a US citizen, I trust the Russians more than the Chinese. And they create probably 90% of IOT software.

IDK, maybe my trust comes from not living during the Cold War, but I think those times are over.

Slyguy

Level 40
I was going to change products next year when my current license finishes... I had even been testing other products in my machines... now I'm basically convinced to renew my license.. maybe even upgrade it to add more machines...
No better way to give the middle finger to the US intelligence state than this to be honest.. Also you can be assured, Kaspersky will never cooperate with the NSA/CIA or whatever. (y)

As a US citizen, I trust the Russians more than the Chinese. And they create probably 90% of IOT software.

IDK, maybe my trust comes from not living during the Cold War, but I think those times are over.
Chinese stuff is risky. Everything, even food IMO. I remember seeing a news story about a Chinese food firm making frozen lasagna. They found out they were grinding up the cardboard boxes the meat came in and mixing it with the meat saying once the blood and meat mixed up good with the cardboard grounds nobody could tell the difference. Then there was that tampered baby formula using Melamine to increase the nutritional numbers.

I recently tested a popular Chinese IoT plug. The plug wasn't bad, it only pinged out to AWS every so often to update it's 'status'. The problem is, the app that connected to the plug was sending massive - 10,000+ sessions a day - telemetry back to data mining and spying firms in China. It's a real problem with we rely on stuff manufactured there and something really has to be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

motox781

Level 7
Verified
Chinese stuff is risky. Everything, even food IMO. I remember seeing a news story about a Chinese food firm making frozen lasagna. They found out they were grinding up the cardboard boxes the meat came in and mixing it with the meat saying once the blood and meat mixed up good with the cardboard grounds nobody could tell the difference. Then there was that tampered baby formula using Melamine to increase the nutritional numbers.

I recently tested a popular Chinese IoT plug. The plug wasn't bad, it only pinged out to AWS every so often to update it's 'status'. The problem is, the app that connected to the plug was sending massive - 10,000+ sessions a day - telemetry back to data mining and spying firms in China. It's a real problem with we rely on stuff manufactured there and something really has to be done.
And some Chinese eat dogs?! I mean ...come on :/

Don't click if you love animals.

Why people will never stop eating dogs at Yulin festival | Daily Mail Online

I know off subject...sorry

Reactions: Weebarra
P

plat1098

Precisely why I (hopefully) have no vestige of Lenovo "companion" software on my jolly funtime machines.

telemetry back to data mining and spying firms in China.
So, what is the upshot of this mess? It's not the wide-eyed innocence of the MS software/Intel global monopoly, it's those seeking to exploit it? Too much smoke, I can't see the flame clearly. No player is like the driven snow. As usual, nothing solid for us, just speculative fumes. The mainstream media knows where it can go, fanning the flames and creating FUD. @lowdetection: (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TrinitronMSDOS

If you were Russian, you might be "obliged" to give up far more than your antivirus. It's Microsoft. :censored:
Quite honestly i'm not sure that's something that would be sad. I loved and supported Windows until Windows 7, but honestly i'm using Winspy 10 Bug Edition just because i'm used to the OS and i'm too lazy to change.

Also if you're Russian i think surfing the internet is pretty much the same. It's just that it's the FSB spying on you instead of the NSA :ROFLMAO:

PS: i'm just kidding i love America and i have nothing against the Russian people ;)

Slyguy

Level 40
Today everyone spies on everyone.:confused:
The spies spy on, and/or have exceptionally close ties with advertising/telemetry/datamining firms. One of the biggest, SAS Corp. is absolutely littered with ex-NSA people for example. The intel communities call this kind of intel 'Opensource Intelligence' or in some cases 'Public Domain Intel'.. The more you talk, the more you use social media, the more you expose yourself the less work they have to do. No need for FISA, National Security Letters, you're giving it all away yourself. The more telemetry that leaves your network, the less of the need for the above mentioned legal requirements.

Which means the base way to reduce your exposure is to reduce it through Opt-Outs, Adblocking, DNS blocking, running only what you need, when you need it. Portable apps. Slow upgrade cycles. Disabled logging. Host files. Pi-Hole (best of all really). Declining 'customer improvement' rubbish. Reduction in cloud-app usage. Think about all of the ways you leak data/logs/telemetry and start being aware of them and start reducing them. Then if they really want/need something on you, they'll be left with no choice but solutions that require something more concrete and legal and which result in a paper trail.

Stop making it easy for them! Even assuming you have nothing to hide, why make it easy? What these morons fail to realize is, this will all eventually be used against them as the same data is being gathered on the people gathering the data, and it eventually will all implode. (as if Snowden and Vault wasn't enough, right?) Snowden is a folk hero and there are probably hundreds of millennials waiting to be 'that next guy' to unload everything.

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
This news plus recent scandals in addition of Eugene Kaspersky being an ex KGB agent are reasons enough to boycott the software if you are a westerner. After all, when you install an antivirus software, you give it full control over your computer's files and all data being sent and received, so you must have absolute trust in the company.

Please don't misunderstand me as i am NOT against Russian people. But as a rule, i think it's unwise using a software from a country that is involved in spying and could potentially be in war with your country. That makes Kaspersky (as well as Dr. Web, Adguard, etc...) not a good choice for Americans, Europeans and their allies.

That being said, if i where Russian, i would never use Norton, McAfee, Webroot and such for the same reasons. Ultimately, whatever is your nationality, using more neutral companies that aren't especially involved with any government is best. Emsisoft and F-Secure are the best in that regard.
I totally agree with you.
This Is why I use ESET as It has support In my region and etc

Reactions: TrinitronMSDOS

Slyguy

Level 40
I'd discourage home-country products personally. Trinitron has a good point, try to use neutral country products/services when possible.

Reactions: Weebarra

Entreri

Level 7
As a consumer, this makes me want to use Kaspersky even more. This is clearly a witch hunt. They are trying to tarnish Kaspersky's reputation with a false flag.
Kaspersky has been around for 20+ years, not some Chinese AV company.

I would not trust American AV companies though, at least they have white listed various agencies spyware and possibly another backdoor into your computer. As if OS backdoors, CPU backdoors, router etc weren't enough.

I would not trust Chinese products...Chinese companies will do anything for the yuan, even killing their babies via formula.