RVS2 Security Config

RVS2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
I keep a casual security config. I don't keep a bullet proof security setup because it is cumbersome.
Also my device is slow and weak which further discourages anything elaborate.
After reading other configs, I decided to get a strong AV ie Kaspersky, changed my dns to Norton, maxed my Adguard settings and do monthly scans.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
If you have a slow device than kaspersky should not be your security program of choice. It runs heavy! Especially if you have a laptop ; it sucks the lifeblood out of your battery. You would be better of with win defender , emsisoft anti malware or eset. Ad kb ssl enforcer to your browser as an extra security meassure. Also think about getting a backup program like aomei backupper standard , better safe than sorry :) Thanks for sharing your config!

W

Wave

With a standard account you can make the OS to ask you for a pw when you launch at least some exe .
I am placing down my bets that you're referring to running programs with administrative privileges from a standard account, which will provide additional security from Windows by requesting the account password to an administrator account prior to it running the program with the higher privileges (much more secure than just showing the buttons - especially in the case of a Trojan.Backdoor, the attacker would need to know the password).

And a malware that can access high privileges can do more damage
This is very true; using a standard account will definitely keep you less vulnerable to the actions of malware however it depends on the situation. If malicious software wants to access/modify the Master Boot Record, the malicious process will require administrative privileges (from Windows Vista and on-wards - on Windows XP it won't require administrator privileges however Windows XP isn't even supported anymore and it's very vulnerable) as long as User Account Control is enabled.

Unless you have a specific reason to be using an administrator account at all times, it is definitely a wise decision to just work from a standard account and keep User Account Control enabled, providing the admin password on the notifications when necessary - the problem is that many people are uneducated about how the accounts/process privileges work on Windows and/or want full control at all times, even if they don't necessarily need it, which can then be abused by malicious software should they end up infected.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Does the OP change already the suggestions mentioned? Yes his configuration is strong already but lacks on having Smartscreen turn on.

So it should be in yellow rating rather green unless it will update in immediate matter.

Anyway, I suggest to increase a little bit on the sensitive level of UAC, so that you have control to access certain programs.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Please edit your config to reflect "3rd party Firewall" since you are using KIS 2017.
Kaspersky 2016 & now 2017 are much lighter than their predecessors.I have KIS 2017 installed on an older machine and it runs fine.
I agree with enabling UAC to the max but I never used Smartscreen myself on Windows 7(IE 8 or later)
A data and system back up solution is definitely something you want to consider.
Your config looks good! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.