S10's 'Tap to Wake' bug is draining your battery life

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
[..] Some users of the device are reporting that its proximity sensor is also not working as intended for every occasion. A proximity sensor is supposed to turn off the screen when it is placed next to your ear during a call or put inside your pocket. However, the Galaxy S10's proximity sensor does not seem to apply to the latter situation as some users have complained via Reddit and Samsung Community forums that their phone is randomly waking up in their pocket with accidental touches.

The bug starts to manifest itself after the "tap to wake" feature is activated, allowing the phone's screen to wake up when touched. But instead of recognizing touch from a finger only, the sensor also seems to recognize touches from the user's leg through the pocket fabric. The problem isn't helped by lowering the screen sensitivity level nor by turning on the "accidental touch protection" option.
As a result, handsets affected by the bug are reportedly draining fast as their screen turns on accidentally even when not in use. Disabling the always-on display or "tap to wake" feature addresses the issue. However, it's not clear whether the problem is related to hardware or software, and Samsung has yet to release a fix.

Sources: Samsung Community (1), (2), Reddit (1), (2) via Android Police

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
After having troubles with my S8+ camera and having to shake my phone everytime (n) I decided to return with iPhone XS Max:)
Now another bug on Samsung phones !
So I think I made the good choice for my 2019 smartphone:cool:

Reactions: CyberTech

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.