-Hashmyfiles "v2.23"

Virtual Machine On Demands
-Zemana AM Premium "v2.74.2.76"
-Emsisoft Emergency Kit "v2017.4.0.7437"

Virtual Machine Encrypted Local Storage
-Keepass Portable "2.35"

Virtual Machine Virtual Private Network
-CyberGhost Premium "v6.0.7.2738"

This set up is used both for personal and testing.

I have in both the Guest machine and Host, a copy of Appguard and Cyberghost Premium. Both copies of Appguard are placed into Lockdown mode while testing malware, the Host copy of Cyberghost is utilized for this purpose to mitigate any chances of malware disabling the copy in the Guest machine were i to use it. I utilize the copy of Cyberghost in the VM for research purposes when not using that snapshot for testing samples, this allows the host to still be connected normally and multi tasking to take place.

Aside from testing samples, i am also testing Appguard as well as the above mentioned research and i also utilize it for testing updates/upgrades of W10 before they ever hit my Host.

Last edited:

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2017
nice configuration! i would recommend adding an on-demand scanner like Zemana or Malwarebytes, I also recommend adding HTTPS Everywhere to your browsers. Overall good configuration though!
Thank you for the comment and suggestions.

I am not a user of On-Demands for my system. I will post 2 reasons why this is to help curb any future recommendation.

1. Current AV's lack the ability to keep up with zero-day malware efficiently, meaning by the time they are able to push a signature out for a newer malware, it has been in the wild already, and may have been so for days. Using on-demand "real time protection" as a companion consumes more resources unnecessarily.

2. Used as a on-demand only "which they were designed to eradicate systems after infection" with my set up above is not necessary as well. If i get hit with an infection, because i do not store personal files on the machine, and keep it light and fast, it is actually easier and less time consuming for me to just wipe the system and 2 hours later be up and running again, instead of scanning the system, finding the malware, removing/deleting the malware which almost always leaves traces behind that need manual hunting, not to mention the corruption that could take place from the malware itself and or removal of, that will need repaired, which can be very time consuming.

Good , another Appguard user ;)
It just makes no sense not too. Stop the infection before it occurs, no mess to clean up. :)

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2017
As stated above, i was in a Haste setting up my configuration and it was unfinished, the full configuration of my set up is now listed in the original post above.

Reactions: Rengar

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2017
Added: Cyberghost to my Host

I had purchased a Cyberghost Premium Plus account and was able to not only set up both Host and Guest with a copy, but also mobile devices as well.

Changes are reflected in my config, which has one addition that will soon grace my Host, this also listed in my OP.

Reactions: Rengar and Sand
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.