Troubleshoot Safari 9.1.1: Pop-Up ads in new tabs every 3 minutes, Pop-Up ads when a links are clicked

Chanel C

Thread author
Jun 1, 2016
Last night, I started getting pop-ups everywhere, all throughout my Ebay and Amazon screens, there were ads hovering over everything, and simultaneously new screens kept opening. My computer was infected bad. I downloaded "Malware Bytes" and did a scan, it found one virus and I deleted it. I also updated my homepage to google (which kept being reset to another homepage by the virus), I have no extensions so I didn't worry about that, and I also deleted the following files off my drives:
~/Library/Preferences "com.apple.Safari.plist"
~/Library/Saved Application State "com.apple.Safari.savedState
~/Library/Safari "LastSession.plist"
Afterwards I reboot (a few times), it didn't work, so I did all of those steps 3 times, and opened Safari using command shift at reboot. Finally nothing seemed to work. Ads everywhere.

I then downloaded "Avast Mac Security" and did a scan. It found about 8 viruses on my computer, then I wiped them clean. I thought wow THIS IS IT!! So I started using my browser as usual, now no more hover ads over Amazon or Ebay, but NOW I have this hidden malware. It hides in my links and every link I click, it opens a new ad in a new tab, window, or my current window. Usually they're just ads for anything, and the link first loads as the name "prjcq.com" and are followed with the ad that ends with a different url. Some load fully into an ad, others just continue changing their url (about 12-30x) and I close it before it starts loading anything on the screen. Most of the time it happens when I click a link; however, sometimes new tabs are just popping out on their own. Attached are some photos of how the url and tab names are different. Thank you for your help.

I'm running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5 on 1.3 GHz

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 5.08.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 5.08.02 PM.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 522
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 5.30.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 5.30.08 PM.png
    484.6 KB · Views: 1,344

Chanel C

Thread author
Jun 1, 2016
The malware Ads are still active in my computer. I thought they were gone but as soon as I allowed "Cookies & Website Data" under my Safari preferences back on, they are back, hovering over everything. So I thought Avast got rid of it, but I guess the malware just never died.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 8.45.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 8.45.00 PM.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 467
Upvote 0

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Reactions: Dirk41
Upvote 0

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
Uninstall your current antivirus and install Sophos for mac (free), run a full system scan and also do as JM Security has said. If that doesn't work, block the ad-networks through your router

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.