Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Soon after Apple released Mountain Lion upon the world, a little known software called Safari for Windows disappeared from the face of the Earth. Or to be more precise, from Apple’s website.

gsmarena_001.jpg

Although not a particularly popular browser, Safari for Windows has existed for quite a while now. That is until yesterday, when Apple just removed any trace of it from their website.

Visiting the Safari page now only shows description for the OS X version of the new Safari 6 found in Mountain Lion. There is a direct download link that you can still use if you must have Safari on your Windows PC but you won’t find any mention of it on the website. Even the Apple Software Update app on Windows, which usually showed you the option to download Safari if it wasn’t already installed, is not showing it anymore.

Maybe Apple has just taken it down until they work on a Windows version of Safari 6. But considering how low the demand is for this browser, I doubt they would bother investing any more time and money on it. And they can’t have an outdated version on the site as well, not next to the shiny new OS X version. Which is why I guess they removed it altogether.

Source

Apple, you must've thought of that years earlier. :p

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Similar story with Microsoft, IE10 Preview is only currently available for Windows 8.

IE10 development for Windows 7 went quiet, so I'm assuming it will be available after October?

With Safari, I wonder what's happening with that...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Similar story with Microsoft, IE10 Preview is only currently available for Windows 8.

IE10 development for Windows 7 went quiet, so I'm assuming it will be available after October?

Apple Webkit open-source is still available for developers who want to continue developing Windows base browsers.

Every since Apple released Webkit as open-source, Safari for Windows kept getting less popular. The original Chromium project was developed from the Apple Webkit which gave us Google Chrome and other Chromium based browsers which quickly became more popular than Safari for Windows.

I'm not surprised to see Safari for Windows discontinued.

Thanks.:D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Earth said:

I dont think, because MS didn't remove the download links for IE9. ;) If Safari wasnt discontinued, they wont really remove the download links for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.