Solved Safari homepage suddenly changed to localhost

Status
Not open for further replies.

montanapratt

Thread author
Jun 17, 2019
Hi there, I'm new here and looking for some help (I'm not sure if this is the right place, so if it's not please point me where I need to go). The homepage on my Safari has suddenly changed to http://localhost/?"\ and I'm unable to change it back to Google. I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 on a 2016 MacBook Pro. I've removed WeKnow adware (infected via Chrome) from the same computer months ago but have no other symptoms other than the homepage issue now. I 've had Malwarebytes installed/updated for years now and it's returning zero threats. I only updated my OS three days ago so I'm not sure if it's just an update glitch, but the issue only began appearing today.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 10.26.35 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 10.26.35 pm.png
    376.3 KB · Views: 340
Reactions: oldschool

montanapratt

Thread author
Jun 17, 2019
Did you follow any guides to remove WeKnow adware?

There are some steps you can do before using Malwarebytes for macOS.

I had removed the WeKnow adware completely about 4 months ago - I think this time it’s something different but I can’t figure out what. Everything else about my safari is working as normal, no odd-looking webpages or extensions. Just the changed homepage.

Reactions: oldschool

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello @montanapratt,
Can you try these steps:
  1. In Safari, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
  2. In the window that opens, click the General icon (if necessary)
  3. Enter your desired home page in the "Homepage" field, but DO NOT press return!
  4. At the top of the window, click any of the other icons (eg, Tabs, AutoFill, etc).
  5. You may see a prompt asking for confirmation for changing the home page. If so, confirm.
  6. Switch back to the General page and check to make sure the home page has been changed.

montanapratt

Thread author
Jun 17, 2019
Hello @montanapratt,
Can you try these steps:
  1. In Safari, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
  2. In the window that opens, click the General icon (if necessary)
  3. Enter your desired home page in the "Homepage" field, but DO NOT press return!
  4. At the top of the window, click any of the other icons (eg, Tabs, AutoFill, etc).
  5. You may see a prompt asking for confirmation for changing the home page. If so, confirm.
  6. Switch back to the General page and check to make sure the home page has been changed.

Thanks Jack, it worked! Would it have just been a weird glitch that caused it?

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Would it have just been a weird glitch that caused it?
Yes, it's a Safari bug that needs to be fixed. It has been around for quite some time but no fix yet. Anyway, I'm happy that your computer is better now! : D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.