Safely Configure Vmware for malwareanalysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Need to know if there´s any "tweaks" to improve my VmWare machine more before trying a couple of viruses and see how the AV´s perform?

What i´m most interested in is if there´s ANY chance for an actual infection to spread via the network from this VmWare Machine and if i should change from "administrator" to "user" before proceeding??

Also, what viruses would you suggest i´d start with? Not interesed in startting with Sasser or similar but it needs to be known. No 0-day to start with please....! :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
To avoid any problems on dealing for Virtual Machine, you need to turn off any network bridge, file sharing and printer sharing.

Some viruses may detected itself for not running well due to virtual environment.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Isolate the testing machine from your network if you're paranoid but I haven't done such with my own virtual machine, In the network settings of your virtual machine software you need to make sure it's set to NAT and not Bridged.

Some even have Shadow Defender active on their host system before testing malware in their virtual machines. To each his own with the "better safe then sorry" quote.

As for which malware to test I can't recommend which exactly, You can take a look at our Malware Hub and see if you find anything interesting, a rogue antivirus is simple enough.

Just take caution with what you're doing. Enjoy! ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I have to agree with what MrXidus said. I have and make sure before I do every VM testing I do a backup with RollbackRX so if there is that slight chance of it jumping ship I'm safe. Also if you were going to be doing testing and your worried about it jumping shop, do it on a separate machine all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.