Samsung’s Galaxy Z Flip - First Foldable With a Flexible Glass Cover

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Take a Samsung phone, bend it in half, and what do you get? The Galaxy Z Flip! Alongside the Galaxy S20, Samsung is also introducing its second-ever foldable smartphone. Unlike the Galaxy Fold, which was a tiny tablet that folded in half, the Galaxy Z Flip is closer to a normal-size smartphone that folds into a tiny square, making it Samsung's competitor to the Moto Razr.

When open, the Z Flip is about the size of a Galaxy S20+. You get a 6.7-inch, 2636×1080 OLED panel with a hole-punch camera, the usual Samsung interface, and slightly thicker-than-normal bezels. Close the phone and you'll see a tiny 1.1-inch, 300×116 display on the front, which is just big enough to display the time, date, battery status, and any incoming notifications. While the Galaxy Z Flip has plenty in common with the Galaxy Fold, one big improvement is that it's the first foldable smartphone with a glass display cover. That's right, glass that can fold in half. Previous foldable smartphones used a plastic display cover, which introduced all sorts of problems. Plastic is delicate and easily scratched, which limits many of the design possibilities of foldable devices.
The phone has 8GB of RAM, 256GB of UFS 3.0 storage, a MicroSD slot, and a 3300mAh battery. That battery shows the tradeoff you're making with foldable devices. The similarly sized Galaxy S20+ has a much bigger 4500mAh battery—the hinge in the middle of these foldables takes up a lot of space that would otherwise be used for battery.

The camera package is a step down from the S20, too. You're getting a 12MP main camera and a 12MP wide-angle camera on the rear, and that's it. Instead of an in-screen fingerprint reader, the reader is mounted on the side of the phone. The Z Flip has wireless charging, a USB-C port, and no headphone jack. The Z Flip will retail for $1,380

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Here is the Samsung Z Flip phone against my Samsung Galaxy Fold and the HW Mate 20X

Attachments

• IMG_20200212_205838.jpg
    IMG_20200212_205838.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
  • 20200212_205737.jpg
    20200212_205737.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
  • 20200212_210659.jpg
    20200212_210659.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

For mobility and classic use the flip one seems better.
the fold one is better than a tablet.

Reactions: ctm_rookie

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
And here is the Samsung S20 Ultra 5G against my Samsung Galaxy Fold and HW Mate 20X. Sorry some picture not very good because the store is very well lit

Attachments

• IMG_20200212_211232.jpg
    IMG_20200212_211232.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • 20200212_211211.jpg
    20200212_211211.jpg
    924.4 KB · Views: 141

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The Galaxy Z Flip's glass screen isn't very durable

When Samsung unveiled the Galaxy Z Flip, its display's extra-thin glass drew the attention of many people. It theoretically offered a better feel and more durability than the fragile plastic of the Galaxy Fold. You might not want to get your hopes up, however. JerryRigEverything (aka Zack Nelson) has subjected the Z Flip's screen to a durability test, and the results are... unfortunate. It's just as prone to scratching as the plastic displays of the Fold and the Motorola Razr, to the point where a fingernail can leave marks. Puncture and heat tests didn't fare any better.

Watch the videos below

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
In a small defence to any vendor that get's tested by Jerry ( aka/alias Zack Nelson ), those tests are very extrem but also funny to watch. For example not very common that users actually inflict real fire on their phones.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There is zero difference between Samsung and Apple owners when it comes to their phones.

Reactions: Cortex

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
There is zero difference between Samsung and Apple owners when it comes to their phones.
I disagree. In my experience iPhone owners will blindly defend their phones much more than Samsung owners (or users of other Android phones) will. For example, back when Samsung phones still had removable batteries, some iPhone users were saying it was a bad idea to have a user replaceable battery. Another example is when the Galaxy S5 was released. I saw iPhone users saying it was a bad idea for phone to be water resistant.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Looks easy to slip out of hands, despite how nice looking phones I have had I always have to use a reasonably protective case - Any of my friends or family who haven't usually drop their phone, the results depend on the surface they fall on, concrete isn't a good choice - Not sure how cases work with this phone & you still have the width, the height for me isn't the issue - Looking good though.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.