Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Samsung says that it can disable any of its Samsung TV sets remotely using TV Block, a feature built into all television products sold worldwide.
The TV Block function is activated remotely on all TV sets stolen from one of its warehouses or distributors by adding their serial numbers to a list on Samsung's servers.

After a stolen TV is connected to the Internet, the device will check the list of stolen devices on Samsung's servers, and it will automatically disable all television functions if it finds a match.

If Samsung TVs belonging to actual customers get blocked by mistake, full functionality can be restored within 48 hours after sending proof of purchase and a valid TV license to the Samsung retailer or the serv.manager@samsung.com email.

"In keeping with our values to leverage the power of technology to resolve societal challenges, we will continuously develop and expand strategic products in our consumer electronics division with defence-grade security, purpose-built, with innovative and intuitive business tools designed for a new world," Mike Van Lier, Samsung South Africa's Director of Consumer Electronics, said.
"This technology can have a positive impact at this time, and will also be of use to both the industry and customers in the future."

While Samsung says TV Block is an innovative function that can only have a positive impact, one must think about what would happen if malicious actors would breach the company's servers and gain access to the block list used to disable stolen TVs remotely.

Hemps

Mar 11, 2021
This was for the TV's looted in South Africa, doesn't really help when most of those TV's will never be connected to the internet.
Any sold might be, but doubtful.

Reactions: I Walk MY Way

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Why should incorrectly-blocked customers have to show a TV licence... they may only watch catch-up not live TV? Smacks a bit of big brother, if the state decides you have wrong thought they could leverage this technology negatively if its there.

Reactions: I Walk MY Way

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.