Tech News Samsung Devices Manufactured After 2019 to Get 4 Years of Security Updates

McMcbrad

Level 23
Oct 16, 2020

Last year, Samsung surprised us all by announcing it would support its most recent phones with three years of Android upgrades. That’s an extra year on top of the de facto two-year upgrade promise Google requires of OEMs (but rarely enforces).

Today, Samsung upped the ante on that promise. Now, every Galaxy-branded Android device from 2019 or later will get four years of security patches. These Samsung updates will land on all devices from its various lines: Galaxy S, Note, Z, A, XCover, and Tab.

McMcbrad

Level 23
Oct 16, 2020
is the S21 Ultra your first Samsung? :unsure:
Yes, I never had a Samsung before. I used to have LG Optimus G, which was my first smartphone, bought with my first salary. Then I had G2 and that's pretty much where my Android experience ended.

1614029876471.png
1614030003484.png

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 22
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
May 26, 2014
Before they mentioned 3 years. Now it's been pushed to 4.

They mentioned 3 years of Android software update, what was pushed for 4 is just the security updates.

Ps: Not really a problem because Samsung custom Android has always been at least 2 major versions features ahead of the Stock Android.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 22
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
May 26, 2014
None of this, both M and A are in the same range, in fact my M31 cost more than most of the A series. An example; A51 is mentioned there as a 4 year update, being that of 2019, costing less than the M31 (2020) and weaker in hardware configuration, can’t understand Samsung in this

You are right, maybe Samsung just didnt announce the support and will deliver updates anyway because this doesnt make any sense.

Galaxy M51 isnt a budget phone, it is a premium midrange, a upgraded Galaxy A71.