Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
[..] while their devices still work perfectly, getting the latest software and security updates can often be a problem.

To provide the best mobile experience for its users, Samsung has committed to providing three generations of Android operating system upgrades for its Galaxy smartphones and tablets.

Update:
Find all details here

Last edited:

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
which device?
Eligible Galaxy devices include:
  • Galaxy S series: Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20+ 5G, S20+, S20 5G, S20 in addition to S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S10 Lite and upcoming S series devices
  • Galaxy Note series: Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 5G, Note20, Note10+ 5G, Note10+, Note10 5G, Note10, Note10 Lite and upcoming Note series devices
  • Galaxy Foldable devices: Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Z Fold2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G, Fold and upcoming Z series devices
  • Galaxy A series: Galaxy A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51, A90 5G and select upcoming A series devices
  • Tablets: Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tab S7+, Tab S7 5G3, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G4, Tab S6, Tab S6 Lite and upcoming Tab S series devices
Details and small print at

show-Zi

Level 26
Verified
Good and bad news depending on the effects: sometimes new OS on old hardware will render useless old devices up to the point of making the phone unusable, buggy or unstable making you buying a new phone. Smart strategy. ;)
I think it can be appreciated that the service period of os has been extended. Until now, I couldn't even determine if I could use it comfortably.📱🙄

mlnevese

Level 22
Verified
Good and bad news depending on the effects: sometimes new OS on old hardware will render useless old devices up to the point of making the phone unusable, buggy or unstable making you buying a new phone. Smart strategy. ;)

There is so little change in processor power and available memory from a generation to the next now that any slowdown would basically have to be done on purpose. Like Apple did with IOS.

vuksha_xc60

Level 1
I agree with @dinosaur07 , it would be enough to release regular security updates instead of version upgrades.
Also, I would add Knox to that smart strategy which makes it hard to roll back to previous version of Android. Personally, I've had some problems with Android 9 on my J7 2017 but couldn't go back to 8.x because of that block. I still use Android 9 on it but I think that it would run much better on Android 8.x or even 7 which is the factory version.