Samsung Galaxy devices to receive 3 generations of Android OS upgrades

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
[..] while their devices still work perfectly, getting the latest software and security updates can often be a problem.

To provide the best mobile experience for its users, Samsung has committed to providing three generations of Android operating system upgrades for its Galaxy smartphones and tablets.

Update:
Find all details here

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
which device?
Eligible Galaxy devices include:
  • Galaxy S series: Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20+ 5G, S20+, S20 5G, S20 in addition to S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S10 Lite and upcoming S series devices
  • Galaxy Note series: Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 5G, Note20, Note10+ 5G, Note10+, Note10 5G, Note10, Note10 Lite and upcoming Note series devices
  • Galaxy Foldable devices: Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Z Fold2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G, Fold and upcoming Z series devices
  • Galaxy A series: Galaxy A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51, A90 5G and select upcoming A series devices
  • Tablets: Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tab S7+, Tab S7 5G3, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G4, Tab S6, Tab S6 Lite and upcoming Tab S series devices
Details and small print at

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Good and bad news depending on the effects: sometimes new OS on old hardware will render useless old devices up to the point of making the phone unusable, buggy or unstable making you buying a new phone. Smart strategy. ;)
I think it can be appreciated that the service period of os has been extended. Until now, I couldn't even determine if I could use it comfortably.📱🙄

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Good and bad news depending on the effects: sometimes new OS on old hardware will render useless old devices up to the point of making the phone unusable, buggy or unstable making you buying a new phone. Smart strategy. ;)

There is so little change in processor power and available memory from a generation to the next now that any slowdown would basically have to be done on purpose. Like Apple did with IOS.

vuksha_xc60

Level 1
Jun 22, 2020
I agree with @dinosaur07 , it would be enough to release regular security updates instead of version upgrades.
Also, I would add Knox to that smart strategy which makes it hard to roll back to previous version of Android. Personally, I've had some problems with Android 9 on my J7 2017 but couldn't go back to 8.x because of that block. I still use Android 9 on it but I think that it would run much better on Android 8.x or even 7 which is the factory version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.