Battle Samsung Galaxy S8+ or wait for iPhone 8 Plus?

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hi guys,

I currently have a iPhone 6S plus. It is my very first iPhone. All my other devices have been Androids and all have been Galaxy phones funny enough except a Nexus 5.

All my friends use iMessage cause they got an iPhone. My mother is the only one who I actually text since she has a Galaxy S7 and loves it and refuses to switch yet my friends love iPhone and would never get an Android.

I would miss iMessage but the freedom of Android is so much better. I am so annoyed at how all I can do on my iPhone is change the wallpaper while on Android you can do so much more.

When I first got my iPhone I noticed how much smoother it was than Android. Samsung is famous for it's TouchWiz lag. I love the fast updates that iOS gets.

I am in love with the screen that the S8 has. It is absolutely gorgeous. My main concern if I get the device is that it may lag a lot and I got so much used to the smoothness of iOS.

But I really miss Android and certain Android apps I had like reddit clients and others which were way better apps and can't even get on iOS.

I have enough money right now to buy one directly from Samsung.

Here in Canada we get the Snapdragon CPU like the US. But I cannot be bothered being locked into a carrier and having all the bloatware.

With the S7 the Exynos was actually the better CPU.

I've heard mixed results with the S8. Some people say the Snapdragon is much better while others are saying that the Exynos is more snappy.

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
the Galaxy s8 is gorgeous...it easly makes any other smartphone looks kinda outdated.. I myself have the s7 edge .. I ditched the iphone long ago.. dunno why every year people talk about the new iphone that is gonna be a game changer yet it's almost the same nothing major since more than 3-4 generations of iphone, maybe the 3D touch ?.. upping specs is the most prominent feature.
don't get me wrong I'm no fan boy of Samsung, If I had enough money I'd buy both XD. but it's just that android is so flexible.
while the experience is still smoother on the iphone, that's not a problem anymore since android has gotten a lot better since marshmallow onward .
there's absolutely no comparing of these two products in terms of freedom of use, I think you should get the galaxy as whatever apple release this year, the galaxy s8 will still have the better battery (way better), better display (waaaaay better) , expandable storage ,fast charge , wireless charge..... camera is actually an optimized s7 camera but still pretty much more than you'll need .. plus... that design !! truly samsung has upped it's game in the past couple of years years ... oh and touchwiz has gotten way smoother and lighter and if you don't like TouchWiz can always switch to any other launcher you prefer, I use nova premium .
P.S: I heard that samsung is planing a new "TouchWiz-like" launcher based on vulkan api.. which I think is pretty cool.

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
I voted Samsung because I like the Android ecosystem better than Apple. (I despise Itunes)

With Android, you just plug it right into your computer and do whatever you want with the files.

And the customization is endless with Android

However, Apple does get the edge when it comes to processor speed.

I'm new to Samsung (S7 for a year) so I can't speak to their longevity. But my gosh my Iphone 5 was a TANK!

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
The problem with this decision is you really can't listen to most users. It is like asking RAM and Ford truck owners which truck is best. All the RAM owners are going to say RAM and Ford owners will say Ford. And of course the Chevy owners will exclaim they left out the obvious choice.

If you wait, there always will be something newer, faster, and shinier just around the corner. There always is.

If you are not brand loyal, I say buy what best meets your needs when you are ready to buy.

Personally, I don't buy Apple products. They make great stuff but Apple is just too proprietary. That always means higher costs and fewer choices.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I voted Samsung because I like the Android ecosystem better than Apple. (I despise Itunes)

With Android, you just plug it right into your computer and do whatever you want with the files.

And the customization is endless with Android

However, Apple does get the edge when it comes to processor speed.

I'm new to Samsung (S7 for a year) so I can't speak to their longevity. But my gosh my Iphone 5 was a TANK!

I agree with you, I love Android to death as well and got my first iPhone and gave it a go. The only thing I like better about it is that iOS is smoother and can load games better and has iMessage.

Otherwise, Android wins. I'm just afraid if I get a S8 that it is gonna lag like crazy as I've been reading a lot about it. I can't take lag on a phone. I will end up throwing it out the window haha.

Reactions: lobo001

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
The problem with this decision is you really can't listen to most users. It is like asking RAM and Ford truck owners which truck is best. All the RAM owners are going to say RAM and Ford owners will say Ford. And of course the Chevy owners will exclaim they left out the obvious choice.

If you wait, there always will be something newer, faster, and shinier just around the corner. There always is.

If you are not brand loyal, I say buy what best meets your needs when you are ready to buy.

Personally, I don't buy Apple products. They make great stuff but Apple is just too proprietary. That always means higher costs and fewer choices.

I am not brand loyal. I just sold off my iPad cause I was always on my phone anyways. Yeah I heard the next iPhone is going to cost even more which doesn't surprise me.

I keep going to the Samsung page debating whether to press the purchase button or not! :)

I really don't know what to do and don't want to make the wrong choice. I love the headphone jack and I listen to music constantly and I hate bluetooth headphones and having to charge them and them dying randomly or having issues connecting and all the rest of it so the S8 is a clear winner there.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I listen to music constantly and I hate bluetooth headphones and having to charge them and them dying randomly or having issues connecting and all the rest of it
This is a big issue for me. I ride a bicycle as much as I can (2700+ miles last year - not bad for a 65-year old fart!). I live in the Omaha area where we have several 100 miles of bike trails on top of levees controlling flood plains surrounding the Missouri River. I have tried several BT headsets, including expensive Bose and Jabra sets on 2 different phones. And I keep going back to plug in (wired) earbuds because of connectivity issues. I don't get it. I stuff my cell phone in my shorts so only talking less than 3 feet distance. Oh well.

I listen to music constantly
If music and headset comfort is that much of a priority for you, and BT is not an option, then IMO, your choice is clear.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
This is a big issue for me. I ride a bicycle as much as I can (2700+ miles last year - not bad for a 65-year old fart!). I live in the Omaha area where we have several 100 miles of bike trails on top of levees controlling flood plains surrounding the Missouri River. I have tried several BT headsets, including expensive Bose and Jabra sets on 2 different phones. And I keep going back to plug in (wired) earbuds because of connectivity issues. I don't get it. I stuff my cell phone in my shorts so only talking less than 3 feet distance. Oh well.

If music and headset comfort is that much of a priority for you, and BT is not an option, then IMO, your choice is clear.

Oh wow that's interesting! Congrats on the bike riding. I am 20 myself and barely ride one and I doubt I'd get far on it cause I'm probably out of shape. I do walk a lot everyday so I probably am not too bad but not the best I could be. I am used to kilometres. I have no idea how long a mile is. I just know a mile is longer. I am Canadian so we use metric like the rest of the world.

It's pretty obvious that the next iPhone isn't going to have a headphone jack and they are buying those lovely OLED panels from Samsung. Which I can't blame them for. My iPhone screen looks like a joke compared to even my moms S7.

I am tempted to buy a S8 so bad. I'd end up getting a new iPhone from Apple care and selling that off for some money to make up for some of the money I spent on the S8. As my iPhone has scratches on the screen and a chip taken out of it's corner from a drop. But the phone still works so I live with it.

I am a bit concerned for battery life. My iPhone battery has gone down hill and I drain it really fast cause I listen to Spotify for literally 5 hours or more alone on my phone everyday. I'm not sure if it's just cause Spotify is a battery hog or if my battery has just started to degrade.

I can't ask my friends for advice as they will just tell me iPhone cause they love Apple and were so happy when I got one after my Note 5 died on me. My mother is the opposite and loves Samsung and refuses to get a iPhone so she would be telling me to go with Samsung.

I have a couple pair of bluetooth headphones and I've tried using them and the signal would just cut out if I am wearing a hat or my phone is in my back pocket. It is so annoying and the battery will randomly die on me.

I had enough and went out and bought a pair of beats earphones for $100 CAD and they have lasted me 7 months so far and have not even broke yet, knock on wood. The sound is so much louder with them and more crisp and bass even when coming from the exact same device, it is crazy.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In order to expand the performance, reliability and its customization then go Android based smartphones.

Samsung Galaxy S8+ is a good example that you can exert a lot of task to the smartphones without any problem.

You can also assure of latest updates as possible although the Apple update cycle are way better.

Reactions: askmark

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I have an S8 and really like it. It's fast, responsive and after the optimzation wizard has a few days to learn how you use your phone and turn off unused apps the battery really lasts a lot longer. I often get home with 50% or more battery after 12+ hors of usage. Stand by battey is calculated to be around 40 hours by my phone, although I never let it go for so long without recharging :)

Now about the IPhone x S8 question I really think it goes down to personal tastes and needs. Both are excellent phones. For my needs some of the IPhone limitations, bluetooth file transfers, for instance are reason enough not to use one. Of course my last IPhone was a 5s and I haven't used any of the newer ones.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I am used to kilometres. I have no idea how long a mile is. I just know a mile is longer.
A mile is 5,280 feet or ~1.6km.
I am Canadian so we use metric like the rest of the world.
Rest of the world? Oh? Ever heard of the UK? ;)
I drain it really fast cause I listen to Spotify for literally 5 hours or more alone on my phone everyday. I'm not sure if it's just cause Spotify is a battery hog
In addition to turning off unused apps, if you can listen to Spotify via a local wifi network instead of you 3G/4G cell network, that will extend your battery run time a bit. And disabling BT and GPS when not using them will extend battery run time too. If you must use your 3G/4G cell network, turn off wifi.

Reactions: askmark

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
My choise is 3310! Yeah,yeah old one.
But my wife use samsung and i have lurking she's tinkering she's "toy"... Hmm... and yes she will buy s8+ soon, very soon or maybe she already have never know :p? So i vote samsung all the way, even i don't care much because i have made my choise many, many yrs ago! I (my wife) vote samsung.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (specially Exynos version) is arguably the best phone in the market, even though it is a bit overpriced.
Iphone is far behind Samsung a lot of years ago already, and I guess that this year the difference will get even bigger in terms of design.
No brainer choice for me.

lobo001

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 26, 2017
My wife has the S8, very happy with the ... I, from my experience, would not hesitate to choose the S8 ... By the way, have you seen the LG G6 ?? It's a show!!!

Moi61

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Choose Samsung Galaxy S8+ and you will not regret. But please, just don't drop it. Yes, iPhones are really fast but you won't feel the difference anyway with Samsung.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Personally I would get the Galaxy S8. Have and will always be a fan of Android when it comes to smartphones. I've always had an Android starting with the HTC Wildfire, then the HTC M7, M8, M9, and now have the Google Pixel XL.

Yes you can do alot with Android and iPhone has it's advantages but the way I look at it is, I'm a geek I like tech and how to change stuff around, so Android is what can do that, iPhone can't. If we were talking about PC's then that is a different, but Android all the way.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.