Samsung's high-end flip phone gets leaked in pictures

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
While most smartphone users seem content with the classic “black slab with glass” design, that most of our devices feature, there is a niche market which remember the good old days when our phones flipped and twisted. If you’re part of this latter group, Samsung has a special treat for you.

The giant South Korean manufacturer recently unveiled the Galaxy Folder 2 flip phone, which marries the power and versatility of modern smartphones with the design aesthetic of 20 years ago. But the Folder 2 is only an entry-level device, catering to those on a tight budget, rather than true flip connoisseurs.

Luckily, the company seems to be working on another flip phone, one that’s aimed squarely at the top end of the market. And as you can see in these images, the device has been leaked online.

Dubbed the SM-W2017, the new device seems to be a follow-up to last year’s W2016, with both devices featuring a flipable screen, classic keypad and menu buttons, as well as a front-facing screen, usable when the device is folded. The new device also seems to feature a fingerprint scanner on the back.

In terms of raw specifications, the SM-W2017 is expected to pack quite a punch with a Snapdragon 820 SoC, 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage a 4.2-inch 1080p screen, as well as a 12MP main camera and a 5MP selfie-cam. To power it all the W2017 is expected to feature a 2,000 mAh battery under the hood.

There’s no official indication of a launch date, but an educated guess tells us Samsung might launch the W2017 in the coming weeks, so stay tuned for the company’s announcement.

Source: Playful Droid

SecretKeeper

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2015
...What th-? Who had this idea over at Samsung HQ? o_O

I mean, look at the size of it! The dialing pad looks like it would touch the floor if you put the device up to your ear to call someone! The price isn't gonna be the best... Two expensive screens on it, a modern OS, probably high end processors and a lot of RAM.. Oh boy. :confused:

exCode

Level 3
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Don't know about anyone else but I think it would be seriously cool to see a flip phone with the specs of some flagships.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I love the look of that phone and am going to watch for it's launch, that looks awesome.
I could take or leave the flip category for that matter but this one I think is very nice.
I like the compact nature of the flip phone in general, this one looks very sturdy.
I hope it will be available in the US :)
Cool Share Exterminator !

Last edited:
Reactions: safe1st

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.