Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
And if development has stopped, what happens with the next Win 10 update that will undoubtedly break Sandboxie? Sandboxie was a great product, and I loved it, but Win 10 with its upgrades that always seemed to break SB on my laptop has made me look elsewhere.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
For me, most likely, can't speak for anyone else of course. In retrospect, this move to free, open source might serve as a passive advertising medium for Sophos. You might wonder if the free Sandboxie is going to have any pop ups or nags to "upgrade" to Sophos stuff. :sick: Remains to be seen.

L

Local Host

I don't know if this is a real good news thinking a bit on the necessary support for its continuos development.
Sandboxie hasn't worked correctly on Windows 10 for years now, not to mention the bugs and exploits that also haven't been fixed.

The software was pretty much dead, if you take a quick look at their community (with tons of unsolved issues).

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
And if development has stopped, what happens with the next Windows 10 update that will undoubtedly break Sandboxie? Sandboxie was a great product, and I loved it, but Windows 10 with its upgrades that always seemed to break SB on my laptop has made me look elsewhere.
Hope that when it goes open-source someone that really likes sandboxie will be willing to keep updating it.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
For me, most likely, can't speak for anyone else of course. In retrospect, this move to free, open source might serve as a passive advertising medium for Sophos. You might wonder if the free Sandboxie is going to have any pop ups or nags to "upgrade" to Sophos stuff. :sick: Remains to be seen.
When downloading, Sophos now asks you to enter your email address. I am prepared to receive the Sophos advertisement.
I'm planning to use it for a while, but I feel that the role of this software is coming to an end as Windows has implemented the sandbox.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Unfortunatly it sounds like this might be the end of Sandboxie. I'm sure Sophos is hoping that someone will continue to develop it since it's going to be open source. I hope someone does since Sandboxie is still a viable software choice for keeping nasties off your system.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
When downloading, Sophos now asks you to enter your email address. I am prepared to receive the Sophos advertisement.
I'm planning to use it for a while, but I feel that the role of this software is coming to an end as Windows has implemented the sandbox.

I think your assessment is correct. I don't see it being developed sufficiently as open-source out the blue. It will take dedicated support to keep up with Windows feature updates in the long run. Will these developers magically appear for what is truly a niche product? I for one wouldn't hold my breath.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Just use some fake email you made up in mind, no need to use real email :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hope that when it goes open-source someone that really likes sandboxie will be willing to keep updating it.
Yeah, it will hopefully follow the model of small linux distros, where you have a few dedicated and talented volunteers who devote their free time to keeping their baby afloat. It might even turn out to be better this way than the half-hearted development of Sandboxie in recent years, after it was purchased by Invincia. It all depends on the community support. There are plenty of people who want to see SBIE succeed, the question is how many of them are ready and capable of doing it. If you can code, and you are a True Believer in SBIE, this is the opportunity for you.

I love SBIE as a toy but I don't see it as an essential security tool. It was important for the era in which it was invented, when browsers were vulnerable to certain kinds of attacks. Modern browsers are not so vulnerable nowadays to the kind of attacks that SBIE is good for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.