plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Sandboxie version 5.33.6 now available.

From Sophos:

What are we releasing?

• This build does not come with new features. However, several bits of code were stripped away in order to prepare for releasing the source code to the community.
  • We are not making this an “official” build. The main Sandboxie.com will not be updated until we are confident that this build works for all.
Why are we doing this?

• We want to provide you a preview of what will be generated and gather your feedback.
  • While we have done our best to test general use cases, we wanted to get feedback on this version to ensure it performs as expected for the various use cases that our users have.
Download 32 and 64 bit versions below. Be aware that depending on location, you may be asked to fill out a questionnaire before receiving the download.

Source Credits and Thanks @bjm_ (y)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
O boy...
  • All of our builds are compiled with Visual Studio 2015. We have verified that it’s possible to compile with the Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition (which is free).
  • Compiled binaries executables need to be signed. Specifically, the Sandboxie driver (aka sbiedrv.sys) must be signed with a valid (read: commercially available) certificate by the developer and also by Microsoft in order to deploy it. While it is possible to use a driver that is self-signed, it cannot be deployed unless the OS is run in Test mode.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
For those wandering what was removed

"We haven't stripped away any functionality from the Sandbox. As noted above, we had to clean up code that referenced things like licensing and remove any special integrations with OEM products. "

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
For those wandering what was removed
;)

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, this is possibly premature but what I gleaned over at Wilders is:

1. Sandboxie's source code has been released.
2. David Xanatos, developer of Private WinTen, is possibly involved in its continued development.

Interesting and encouraging for SBIE users. (y)

Here's the post and then the pages with the news. If anyone knows differently, by all means, please make the corrections. It's that important.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013

AlexCa

From Windows Repair Toolbox
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
The original developer has ported the open source version to his GitHub and already released a big fix update: DavidXanatos/Sandboxie
He discussed his future plan with the project in WilderSecurity: Sandboxie - Open Source

I may be wrong, but I don't think that DavidXanatos is the original developer ( the original developer is Ronen Tzur). I've read the Wilderssecurity thread and haven't seen anything indicating that DavidXanatos is Ronen Tzur. On the contrary, unless I'm missing something, he never says that he is the original developer, and, by reading the thread, it seems clear that he is a different developer that is trying to continue the project.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I may be wrong, but I don't think that DavidXanatos is the original developer ( the original developer is Ronen Tzur). I've read the Wilderssecurity thread and haven't seen anything indicating that DavidXanatos is Ronen Tzur. On the contrary, unless I'm missing something, he never says that he is the original developer, and, by reading the thread, it seems clear that he is a different developer that is trying to continue the project.
I see. What I heard is wrong then. Sorry for the wrong information. But it's nice that someone is going to keep it going.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Quoting from the Wilders thread, I already stated David Xanatos is the developer of Private Win-10 and he picked up the code when Sophos released it to hopefully develop it further. I'm running his build now: 5.40.1. Warning: if you try to download it, SmartScreen will stop both d/l and installation. However, I did not have to disable Secure Boot, thank God. He made some improvements to the user interface, which seems cleaner to my eye. Other more technical details you can get on the Wilders thread.

It's not great with the current Insider build 19603.1000, Opera takes 6 seconds to open versus about 1 or 2 on Windows 1909. I'm probably going to clean-install back to it, generally not impressed with this Windows build at all. (n) When does Windows v. 2004 come out now, end of May? Hopefully by that time, SBIE will have been retooled for the release. 🙏

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Quoting from the Wilders thread, I already stated David Xanatos is the developer of Private Win-10 and he picked up the code when Sophos released it to hopefully develop it further. I'm running his build now: 5.40.1. Warning: if you try to download it, SmartScreen will stop both d/l and installation. However, I did not have to disable Secure Boot, thank God. He made some improvements to the user interface, which seems cleaner to my eye. Other more technical details you can get on the Wilders thread.

It's not great with the current Insider build 19603.1000, Opera takes 6 seconds to open versus about 1 or 2 on Windows 1909. I'm probably going to clean-install back to it, generally not impressed with this Windows build at all. (n) When does Windows v. 2004 come out now, end of May? Hopefully by that time, SBIE will have been retooled for the release. 🙏
Does David Xanatos test on the insider builds?
I'm with @oldschool on this:
I'd take a wait-and-see approach to using this soft.

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
FWIW ~
FWIW, according to Curt, when I asked if 5.33.6 was good to go with the next W10 update, he said "Yes, 5.33.6 works in both Fast Ring &Slow Ring, So, it should be good for a while. I tried to give people some breathing room before having to release a Win 10 fix."
Bo
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-acquired-by-invincea.357312/page-252#post-2909295

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just checking

When you open a browser on the desktop vs in SB do you SEE a slowness in the latter? I can see it's slow to open in SB. Is this normal?

I'm using the latest SB Plus portable version by David Xanatos. Would the installed version be faster to open a program?

Thanks

Last edited:

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Just checking

When you open a browser on the desktop vs in SB do you SEE a slowness in the latter? I can see it's slow to open in SB. Is this normal?

I'm using the latest SB Plus portable version by David Xanatos. Would the installed version be faster to open a program?
Maybe, ask David Xanatos Sandboxie Plus (Sbie fork)
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-plus-sbie-fork.427755/
https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/issues/
-
Tom Brown’s Sandboxie Open source project
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-technologies-sbie-open-source.428156/
-
5.33.6 okay, for me

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront even the installer version delays startup of browsers.

I can't find the download of the portable version. Am I looking worng or did you compile the Sandboxie Plus version yourself?

Nope I did not complie the Sandboxie Plus. I think I got the portable version from below ie. the zip file (can't remember exactly since sometimes back). Actually, the net also has portable version of SB Plus

I have switched from Sandboxie Plus to Sandboxie. Everything works fine now.

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Can anybody tell me which is the better version of Sandboxie to use?

Last 5.33.6 or the latest of Sandboxie Plus? My concern is unpatched vulnerabilities or incompatibility with Windows 10 v2004.

Is SPlus stable or a Beta? Thanks.

Reactions: Protomartyr
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.