Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@bo.elam, maybe your user name could have been "Sand.bo.xie".elam!;):D
Does anyone know if the creator, & former owner of Sandboxie, Ronen Tzuk, would continue involvement in any way after selling to Invincea, or what he may be doing now? (..besides counting his money):p I've read his posts & replies to bug reports from users on Sandboxie.com's beta forums, and he seemed very accessible o_O(like our staff here!).:cool:

Reactions: Ramblin

Austerity

Level 1
Feb 9, 2014
i uninstalled sandboxie few days ago, if i had to test some softs, i use Shadow Defender or Virtual Box

I am using Shadow Defender now myself.

Bo - what exactly is there to sandbox that you would use in day-to-day operations that would be beneficial? I understand, internet facing programs, but what exactly has vulnerabilities and capability to introduce malware?

I've only got the following apps installed on my pc, it's fairly light:

Chrome
VLC
Samsung Magician
uTorrent
CCleaner
MBAM Pro (scheduled on demand)
Hitman Pro (scheduled on demand)
Shadow Defender all drives
AppGuard - locked down
No real time AV (although I have licenses for WSA, Kaspersky and BitDefender)

I guess what I am getting at, is if I am using Shadow Defender, should I be using SBIE instead, or both of them, or just SBIE?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Austerity

Level 1
Feb 9, 2014
Hi Austerity, I also use Shadow defender. I use SD for testing programs only and Sandboxie for security but I can tell you that both programs can be used at the same time without problems and you can use SD for security also. Its really your choice. I prefer to use SBIE on its own but it doesn't matter, both programs are good. Sandboxie is a little more convenient and have more settings available, some of which can be used to block programs running in the sandbox from having access to your personal files and folders. Also, Sandboxie is great to protect your system against rootkits. Most rootkits install drivers and Sandboxie does not allow drivers to be installed in the sandbox.

Settings in Sandboxie can be used to do many things, like for example, you can set your PDF reader to be the only program that runs in your PDF sandbox and block all programs in that sandbox from connecting to the internet. In my personal case, the only time that Foxit (my PDF reader) ever runs unsandboxed and connects to the net is when I update the program. You didn't mention any PDF reader in your list but you are probably using one. Its a good idea to sandbox all PDFs that you run in your computer.

I hardly ever download pictures and its hard to encounter a picture that's infected. But it can happen. And when it happens, you ll get a bad infection. So, any picture that I download, its run sandboxed. Its done automatically, I don't have to even think about it, I just do it.

Videos. In the many years that I have used the internet, as far as I know, I never downloaded a malicious video but sometimes video players are exploited. So, by sandboxing my video players, if I ever click on a bad video, no problem, all I ll have to do is delete the sandbox. Look at the video about SBIE Vs Cryptolocker that I posted earlier in this thread. Thats how Sandboxie works against malware.

USB drives. I have a rule that I strictly follow. I never stick anyone else USB drive in my computers but for you guys that do, specially young guys and ladies in school that do that all the time, sandboxing your USB drives is a great way to protect your computer from getting infected. If you do it, and your friends USB drive is infected, you will not get infected, unless you recover the infected file to your PC and execute it.

I have a rule and for me is easy to follow. Any file that goes in my computer, its gonna run sandboxed until the day it gets deleted. I don't care what kind of file is or where I got it from. Earlier in the thread, I posted a picture that shows most of my sandboxes, not all of them fitted in the picture but take a look at it and read the name of the sandboxes. By reading the sandboxes name, you ll get an idea of their purpose and how I use SBIE.

Bo

Thanks. You've inspired me to read the getting started guide and jump in head first to the forums. Sounds like it is worth it.

Reactions: Ramblin

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Ronen was very good.You don't find that kind of support or accessibility very much at all.I will say that Invincea has responded back to me and I am discussing with them the possibility of a something for MT members.Will have to wait and see :)

Austerity

Level 1
Feb 9, 2014
Ronen was very good.You don't find that kind of support or accessibility very much at all.I will say that Invincea has responded back to me and I am discussing with them the possibility of a something for MT members.Will have to wait and see :)

I've been using it for a few hours, lots and lots of reading and learning. I'd buy a lifetime license, still...if I had the option.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Too bad one can get a lic.,key for Invincea Free Space. You need to purchase 10 keys to get one lic.,key for Invincea Free Space.
Also, it will be ready in March for Windows 8.1!

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Looking forward to this giveaway coming soon! Would love to have a lic.,key. Let us know when this start? Thank!:)

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Hi, Bo!

Do you have to uninstall and re install. Or can you just download and copy over the one already install?

Thanks!

Moose

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.