Battle Sandboxie or Shadow Defender - with Bitdefender?

ColonelMal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
Sometimes Bitdefender causes me problems when I'm downloading from the Internet to a folder which is protected against ransomware.

Therefore, which of these programs would be best for use on demand, just to ease the downloading to nominally designated ransomware-monitored folders? I shall of course verify the downloads before transferring them to my real environment.

Unfortunately both SBIE and SD seem similar to me.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Each software does something different I think it's better that you understand them both before choosing between them.

Sandboxie is a sandboxing program, which would run anything you put in it in a virtual environment, which means that you can clear it without rebooting your computer. However that means that some programs might break if you run it there because it doesn't have access to drivers and some of the system files.

Shadow defender on the other hand is a rollback software, which means that it installs the program as it should be, with the drivers and such so a program will never break due to shadow defender, it will be installed fully as if shadow defender was not there. However this means that if you want to clear the changes by the software you will have to reboot your computer each time, which can be a hassle for you if you are doing this many times in a day.

For me I use both shadow defender and sandboxie for both different things. After a while you learn which programs require to install drivers and hence use shadow defender instead of sandboxie

ColonelMal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
As an update based on my reading so far, one piece of information that I found useful is that in some ways an image backup, especially when done before some critically important work, would serve in place of Shadow Defender. Having said that, I dread having to do an image restore even though I read every where how quick and easy it is, for example with Macrium Reflect.

There are are some disadvantages with either program, but as mekelek implies, what's important is what I want to do. If what I want to do is not affected by any of these disadvantages, then I shouldn't worry.

Overall I'm still undecided... :confused: I'll read further until I convince myself which program does all, or almost all, of what I'm looking for.

Reactions: dinosaur07

Glashouse

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
but as @mekelek said it depends on the purpose: turning on shadow defender everytime you want to download something might be a little bit overkill as long as you don't want to revert to the old state after every reboot...

D

Deleted member 178

Advanced settings in Sandboxie prevent specified programs running sandboxed to connect to the network.

So in a proper set sandbox made for a browser, a downloaded keylogger would be denied internet access, unless it abused the browser's process.

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i read that you are not supposed to use a sandbox with bitdefender. i think it was on it's web site. AFAIK.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.