Sandboxie Portable - Is it as good as the desktop version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Haven't heard about it till today. Will see if it will work on Windows 10 64 bit. Don't have my laptop with me, so I'll try it tonight. Thanks for sharing
I hope it can work so that I can add it to my 'Setting Up A PC/Laptop System Using Portable and Executable Software Only'

BTW, thanks in advance for carrying out the test

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
No difference, the portable uses the desktop installer, and for the license if you have one , you can use it.

Yup, needs the installer and copy your INI file if you want too. Portable version doesn't work if it detects Sandboxie in your Program Files folder.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Portable Sandbox
The revised layout of the sandbox that is introduced in version 2.80 allows for greater portability of the sandbox across computers. By redirecting programs to create sandboxed objects which have a nonspecific path, it is possible to populate a sandbox on one computer, then carry this sandbox to another computer and keep using it.

For example, consider installing a game program to a portable device such as a USB memory stick which is mounted as drive P. The game may install its files to a folder on drive P, but any menu shortcuts it creates will be installed in the Windows Start menu of the local computer, outside drive P. And any registry keys it creates will also be created in the Windows registry, also outside the USB device.

By contrast, if you set the container folder to drive P (for instance P:\Sandbox), then install the game into the (sandboxed) drive C, then all objects created by the installation will be redirected to drive P.

You can then carry the USB drive to another computer where Sandboxie is installed, and set the container folder on that other computer to drive P. Through the Sandboxie Start menu, you will see the menu shortcuts installed by the game, and when you start it, the game will find its settings as they were recorded in the sandboxed registry.

Note that Sandboxie itself is not portable software, but it facilitates the portability of a large number of applications.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Portable Sandbox
The revised layout of the sandbox that is introduced in version 2.80 allows for greater portability of the sandbox across computers. By redirecting programs to create sandboxed objects which have a nonspecific path, it is possible to populate a sandbox on one computer, then carry this sandbox to another computer and keep using it.

For example, consider installing a game program to a portable device such as a USB memory stick which is mounted as drive P. The game may install its files to a folder on drive P, but any menu shortcuts it creates will be installed in the Windows Start menu of the local computer, outside drive P. And any registry keys it creates will also be created in the Windows registry, also outside the USB device.

By contrast, if you set the container folder to drive P (for instance P:\Sandbox), then install the game into the (sandboxed) drive C, then all objects created by the installation will be redirected to drive P.

You can then carry the USB drive to another computer where Sandboxie is installed, and set the container folder on that other computer to drive P. Through the Sandboxie Start menu, you will see the menu shortcuts installed by the game, and when you start it, the game will find its settings as they were recorded in the sandboxed registry.

Note that Sandboxie itself is not portable software, but it facilitates the portability of a large number of applications.
So you are saying that I cannot unzip SB into a folder onto the PC/laptop and operate from there? I do not intend to use SB on a USB stick.

Important is NOT to have SB write to the Windows registry or install files/folders and that is my intent in using portable software.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: WinXPert

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
So you are saying that I cannot unzip SB into a folder onto the PC/laptop and operate from there? I do not intend to use SB on a USB stick.

Important is NOT to have SB write to the Windows registry or install files/folders and that is my intent in using portable software.

Thanks

It writes to the registry. Something minimal.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sandboxie]
"DisplayName"="Sandboxie 5.16 (32-bit)"
"DisplayIcon"="C:\\PortableApps\\SandboxiePortable\\App\\Sandboxie\\Start.exe"
"DisplayVersion"="5.16"
"Publisher"="Sandboxie Holdings, LLC"
"UninstallString"="\"C:\\Windows\\Installer\\SandboxieInstall32.exe\" /remove"

Note: This is for 32 bit OS.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sandboxie]
"DisplayName"="Sandboxie 5.16 (32-bit)"
"DisplayIcon"="C:\\PortableApps\\SandboxiePortable\\App\\Sandboxie\\Start.exe"
"DisplayVersion"="5.16"
"Publisher"="Sandboxie Holdings, LLC"
"UninstallString"="\"C:\\Windows\\Installer\\SandboxieInstall32.exe\" /remove"

Note: This is for 32 bit OS.
I'm talking of the portable version. It's shown as v2.3.0.4 in the SB website in my 1st post

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
That's the registry entry of SB Portable. It uses the desktop installer as @Umbra stated earlier. Note that SandboxiePortable.exe is just a launcher. What's really installed is C:\PortableApps\SandboxiePortable\Data\Installer\SandboxieInstall.exe.

Your folder may be different than mine. Just don't install it in your root dir.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
That's the registry entry of SB Portable. It uses the desktop installer as @Umbra stated earlier. Note that SandboxiePortable.exe is just a launcher. What's really installed is C:\PortableApps\SandboxiePortable\Data\Installer\SandboxieInstall.exe.

Your folder may be different than mine. Just don't install it in your root dir.
So the portable version is only 32-bit but can work in Windows 10 64-bit OS....without problems?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

So the portable version is only 32-bit but can work in Windows 10 64-bit OS....without problems?

Thanks

You download the x64 version of sandboxie and use it during portable installation

sbie.jpg

D

Deleted member 178

i use Sbie mostly for one or two unique features, all my regular apps are isolated are under another sandboxing soft.

D

Deleted member 178

I use ReHIPS (beta) as main isolation software, it uses Windows mechanisms and doesn't need frequent updates lie Sandboxie. I use Sandboxie to "force isolate" internet-faced folders (task ReHIPS can't do at the moment)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013

Thanks

I'm using a 32 bit sandboxie because my OS is 32 bit.

SO if you install the 64 bit SB with the portable version, you'll get the 64 bit one. It's on Other Options | Click browse to locate the installer (Wish I could upload a screenshot)

Reactions: HarborFront
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.