Sandboxie + Windows Defender = a good combo!

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi guys! As you know I am using only a linux VM (SECURE: Basic - JM Security (VM ONLY) Config).

But a good combo for Windows 10 users could be this: Sandboxie Free + Windows Defender (sandboxed). Obviously keep in mind to keep always updated your software and your OS; I think this could be already a good combo for who has safe habits. About browser I suggest Chrome for advanced security features. Consider I mentioned Windows 10 because it is most updated and safe Windows version. What do you think? Do you like this combo?

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi guys! As you know I am using only a linux VM (SECURE: Basic - JM Security (VM ONLY) Config).

But a good combo for Windows 10 users could be this: Sandboxie Free + Windows Defender (sandboxed). Obviously keep in mind to keep always updated your software and your OS; I think this could be already a good combo for who has safe habits. About browser I suggest Chrome for advanced security features. Consider I mentioned Windows 10 because it is most updated and safe Windows version. What do you think? Do you like this combo?
With Sandboxie free, what happens when you download a doc? Will MS Office or Adobe Reader open it sandboxed, when you click on the downloaded doc? If remember right, there is a problem with MS Office protected view, it is not compatible with Sandboxie. Is this so?

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
D

Deleted member 178

With Sandboxie free, what happens when you download a doc? Will MS Office or Adobe Reader open it sandboxed, when you click on the downloaded doc? If remember right, there is a problem with MS Office protected view, it is not compatible with Sandboxie. Is this so?
The free version behave like the paid one, it just doesn't allow forced sandboxing, and if I'm not wrong only one sandbox at a time.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The most interesting aspect of that is Sandboxie protects also against macro malware that are executed via malicious documents.
If you do your downloading only through the default browser that is protected by SBIE free, and people don't come to you with flash drives and expect you to stick them into your machine, then it's a strong setup IMO.

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
If you do your downloading only through the default browser that is protected by SBIE free, and people don't come to you with flash drives and expect you to stick them into your machine, then it's a strong setup IMO.
Of course ;-)

Reactions: shmu26
D

Deleted member 178

Sure. Some months ago I also experienced bugs with Chrome. Sometimes SBIE is like COMODO Firewall: a very good software but with bugs and issues :p
Yes it is why i usually select solutions with the less impact on the OS stability/performance and compatible with my other apps.

SRP/anti-exe/sandboxes are the best for that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.