Sarah Geht Personal Pc Config

Sarah Geht

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 26, 2016
Hi,

I am still using adblock plus - opted out with element hiding helper. I have a history of rules I can't be bothered to transfer over. Is it considered unsafe now or are there privacy concerns?

I am using bitdefender free edition.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Good security config, and you can add Zemana Antimalware as second opinion scanner.
Good use of Windows tools to optimize the performance but you can add CCleaner for better management.
You should add a good OS backup plan to secure the operating system in the event of a serious crash or because of a deep malware attack.
I recommend Macrium Reflect Free.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Not everyday that you see someone with Do not dim desktop option enabled.
I might reconsider on my W10 setup to use that instead.

Windows is only used for gaming tho. All browsing (well 99%) are done on Linux. Only things I would recommend is try out Adguard.

Majority will recommend uBlock, however Adguard is very good as well. I have the software version on my main machine and chrome extension on all other systems. Unlike uBlock, never had page rendering issues.

W

Wave

I recommend you add uBlock Origin to Firefox and you can do this from the official Firefox extensions area: uBlock Origin

As an addition to this, I recommend you increase the sensitivity for User Account Control & create a system image backup; you can do this via free software such as Paragon Backup & Recovery.

Regarding your real-time protection, what version of Bitdefender are you using: free, plus, internet security or total security? As for Comodo, are you working with the auto-sandbox for all unknown/untrusted programs?

Good luck and stay safe. ;)

Edit: Sorry I missed the previous post, I can see now you are using the Free version of Bitdefender Anti-Virus.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
very interesting combo: bitdefender and comodo. I didn't know that would work.
system image backups are extremely useful
why do you have UAC and smartscreen disabled? They are a very nice built-in protection mechanism.

W

Wave

very interesting combo: bitdefender and comodo. I didn't know that would work.
system image backups are extremely useful
why do you have UAC and smartscreen disabled? They are a very nice built-in protection mechanism.
He doesn't have UAC disabled; it is just on a low setting. As for SmartScreen, he is running Windows 7 and therefore he cannot have SmartScreen enabled system-wide but only on Internet Explorer since it was introduced system-wide from Windows 8 and on-wards.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
He doesn't have UAC disabled; it is just on a low setting. As for SmartScreen, he is running Windows 7 and therefore he cannot have SmartScreen enabled system-wide but only on Internet Explorer since it was introduced system-wide from Windows 8 and on-wards.
you are on the ball, Wave!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As long you configure Comodo Firewall correctly then you can have no issues at all even the autosandbox.

Other that, follow the suggestions as mentioned as you lack some vital setups.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Sarah Geht

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 26, 2016
Why Comodo FW 5.3 & not the latest version?

I heard unsavory things about the latter versions of Comodo. I know how to use this version, so kept using it since it's not definition-based. To clarify for everybody, I am not using the Defense+ functionality. I use a custom ruleset where I am prompted for everything that tries to access the internet once and make a decision to allow or block it. It is binary. I do not know enough about ports, loopback zones etc. make informed decisions. I just make a functionality/reputation based decision. I.E I let FF acceess internet but IE is completely blocked (Since I do not use it and malicious stuff can piggy back on it). If an application doesn't need to go online, it doesn't. At least in theory.

That being said, I am aware software based firewalls aren't safe. I am worried about stuff piggybacking on other windows componenets like svchost, system etc. Would like to define rules for that doesn't break functionality but doesn't allow connections to places other than MS.

My On-Demand scanner is just whatever was free at the time. (Bitdefender Free) I feel like it's agressively gathering data which is something I hate. Privacy is one of my main concerns. I do not want my data colleted. I would welcome any privacy concious recommendations about antivirus/firewall software.

Thank you all.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.