Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Say goodbye to these Windows 10 features in the Fall Creators Update

The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is just around the corner. The upcoming feature update is purported to sport the "1709" version number. It will also feature accessibility improvements, hardened security, enhancements to Windows AutoPilot management tools, and Microsoft account recovery directly via the lock screen, among other things.

However, there are a number of existing features that are getting removed or deprecated as well. Now, Microsoft has published a comprehensive list of features that are no longer in active development and will be removed in future updates; the company did the same before the rollout of the Creators Update. This has been done to allow customers and IT professionals to consider these changes and make future plans accordingly.

The list of removed and deprecated features is as follows:

Removed features
  • 3D Builder
  • Apndatabase.xml
  • Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)
  • Outlook Express
  • Reader app
  • Reading List
  • Screen saver functionality in Themes
  • Syskey.exe
  • TCP Offload Engine
  • Tile Data Layer
  • Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Owner Password Management
Deprecated features
  • IIS 6 Management Compatibility
  • IIS Digest Authentication
  • Microsoft Paint
  • RSA/AES Encryption for IIS
  • Sync Your Settings
  • Screen saver functionality in Themes
  • System Image Backup (SIB) Solution
  • TLS RC4 Ciphers
  • Trusted Platform Module (TPM): TPM.msc and TPM RemoteManagement
  • Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Remote Management
  • Windows Hello for Business deployment that uses System Center Configuration Manager
  • Windows PowerShell 2.0
As many readers will notice, many of these features such as the Reader app and Reading List are no longer needed because similar functionality can be offered by newer alternatives such as Microsoft Edge. Furthermore, some features such as Outlook Express contain legacy code that hinders future development.

You can find out more details by visiting the company's dedicated webpage here.

Source: Microsoft via MSPoweruser

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I liked the classic paint more, but I guess I can learn paint 3D.
3D builder & Reader app should have been removed ages ago.
Emet is not really needed if all it's features are ported to Windows defender.
Never used Screensavers.

Removal of the hideously annoying "Sync your settings" cannot come fast enough. It was a very poor decision to enable it by default and caused a wide range of annoyances. Consequently, it caused a lot of people not to use a Microsoft Account.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
So, apparently Paint is not going away, but just shifted to it's new apartment in Windows store.
Today, we’ve seen an incredible outpouring of support and nostalgia around MS Paint. If there’s anything we learned, it’s that after 32 years, MS Paint has a lot of fans. It’s been amazing to see so much love for our trusty old app. Amidst today’s commentary around MS Paint we wanted to take this opportunity to set the record straight, clear up some confusion and share some good news,” Megan Saunders, General Manager, 3D for Everyone Initiative, Windows Experiences, explained.

“MS Paint is here to stay, it will just have a new home soon, in the Windows Store where it will be available for free.”
Source

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
They killed Backup.... Well I guess it was too much work to just fix it....
it is not being removed, it is being deprecated
there is a difference ;) so for now its still there
I wish they'd somehow make a backup system to backup x86 apps and their data like titanium backup on Android.
system image software does all that no?
Not exactly like titanium backup though...but still same result, everything is backed up and restored as it was?
like macrium reflect free, veeam agent for windows free, aoemi free, etc...?
I thought that they would keep back up, in my W7 works just fine.
Why do they want to remove it from W10?
see above, not being removed its being deprecated :)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
system image software does all that no?
Not exactly like titanium backup though...but still same result, everything is backed up and restored as it was?
like macrium reflect free, veeam agent for windows free, aoemi free, etc...?
System image will backup everything of a drive, so will take more time and bigger backup size. And when you clean install your OS, it will be useless. You'll have to reinstall every software again.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
"Say goodbye to these Windows 10 features in the Fall Creators Update"

i will probably say goodbye to windows 10 before fall.

I liked the classic paint more, but I guess I can learn paint 3D

the problem is not getting a hang of paint 3d, the problem is now you need the damn store to get paint.

Reactions: MWNu72 and frogboy

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
@MWNu72,

naaah, am definitely not going back in time.

have been seriously contemplating making ubuntu my primary operating system, am just too lazy to get started with it.

Reactions: frogboy and MWNu72

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
Why get paint from store, when all it did can now be done by paint 3d. It's pretty simple.

am so bloody confused.

1. ms paint moves to the store & ms paint gets superseded by paint 3d & paint 3d will be a part of the fall windows 10 by default.

2. ms paint gets superseded by paint 3d & paint 3d will be available only from the store so no paint app incorporated into windows 10 fall.

which one is it ? please sort this out for me rocky.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
am so bloody confused.

1. ms paint moves to the store & ms paint gets superseded by paint 3d & paint 3d will be a part of the fall windows 10 by default.

2. ms paint gets superseded by paint 3d & paint 3d will be available only from the store so no paint app incorporated into windows 10 fall.

which one is it ? please sort this out for me rocky.
Thats Microsoft. They love to make things complex and confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.