Age group
41 - 50
Last known PC infection
Fav. Web Browser
Google Chrome
Fav. Mobile OS
Android
Fav. Antivirus
Not knowledgable enough to have a Favorite. I use Norton for now, but finding out one is not enough.
Fav. Videogame
Do I have to pick just one?

Aliciatbd

Thread author
Aug 22, 2014
Found this Forum while searching for a fix to a wonderful Malware I couldn't remove. Seems like there are more issues with the help people are offering than the actual malware.

I am just passing the time while waiting for a response and thought I would say, "hi".

I know very little about computers but enough to get me in trouble. Stupid malware was hiding in a Java update notification, and I kind of knew better before clicking on it. BUT I did it anyway!

I have been neglecting my computer for too long and now I am paying the price. I am glad I found this website and I will be back to look through the pages. Maybe learn a thing or two or twenty.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hey, welcome aboard!

Grr, the dreaded fake Java update, i remember falling victim to that myself a few years ago, but luckily i rumbled it just in time and yanked the internet cable out!

Anyway, i really do hope you stick with us, everbody here is so friendly and only to happy to help and guide you on your way from computer disaster to computer goddess!

I wish you well, and i can assure you that before you know it, you'll have that malware begging for mercy ;)

Lailson

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2014
Be very welcome to MT :)
You are at right place, I hope you resolve this as soon as possible
I recommend that you do weekly scans with Malwarebytes and Emsisoft Emergency Kit ( Both free), as a way to check weekly if any malware is present a form of prevention, and have a little more careful when browsing the internet

Last edited:

Aliciatbd

Thread author
Aug 22, 2014
Well Cowpipe, I wish I had thought about yanking the plug but I am on a wireless connection WAY upstairs and I didn't even think about trying to disconnect! What a great simple idea. That will be my emergency go to from now on! lolol. Such a simple thing I didn't even think of it.

Lailson..... thank you for the links. I just downloaded the Malwarebytes one while working with TwinheadedEagles on the fix.

Reactions: Cowpipe

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hello Alicia!
Hope your problems are gone now ..
- But scan your computer with these portable free softwares if you wish, and you would not be disappointed: AdwCleaner, RogueKiler ..

Our topic about fake Java update to read, in Virus Exchange section: Adware FAKE Java update redirects pop-ups : http://malwaretips.com/threads/fake-java-update-redirects-pop-ups.19593/

PS. Before all, remove Java from your PC ..

Aliciatbd

Thread author
Aug 22, 2014
Thank you Prorootect. You mentioned to delete Java from my PC I did delete it a while ago when there was that huge hubbub about the security risk with Java etc. But I have run into programs that require Java. Some of them are programs I really need. What do you all do in those cases? Just use Java anyway? Maybe that question is answered in the above thread..... I will go check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prorootect

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Thank you Proroottect. You mentioned to delete Java from my PC I did delete it a while ago when there was that huge hubbub about the security risk with Java etc. But I have run into programs that require Java. Some of them are programs I really need. What do you all do in those cases? Just use Java anyway? Maybe that question is answered in the above thread..... I will go check it out.

Disconnect Java from your browser, but leave it on your computer ;) Since Java exploits (nasty viruses and such) almost universally originate from something you click on in your browser, and not many apps in your browser will require Java, you can safely disconnect it.

See the instructions here for disabling Java:

Internet Explorer: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/how-to-disable-java-internet-explorer/
Firefox: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/how-to-disable-java-firefox/
Chrome: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/how-to-disable-java-chrome/
Safari: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/how-to-disable-java-safari/
Opera: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/how-to-disable-java-opera/

Hope that helps :)

MalwareHunter

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 30, 2014
Thank you Proroottect. You mentioned to delete Java from my PC I did delete it a while ago when there was that huge hubbub about the security risk with Java etc. But I have run into programs that require Java. Some of them are programs I really need. What do you all do in those cases? Just use Java anyway? Maybe that question is answered in the above thread..... I will go check it out.
You can try two things...
  • Try to replace your programs which requires java to other one which runs without java if possible, and then you can uninstall java
  • Disconnect the java from your browser as @Cowpipe said. I just haven't seen any java applet which is really useful or any that I cannot replace with a normal program. I just not see the point of the whole java in the browser thing. So with disconnecting java from the webbrowsers you can still use your java required programs, but malicious java applets can't run in your browser.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Greetings and salutations Aliciatbd! I may be a day late, and yet I'm neither a dollar short nor would we ever need one for our community is, as many of the finest things offered in life continue to be, absolutely free!:D Likewise, am I confident you shall attain that much coveted state of enlightened malware free Nirvana, unless of course you've already broken through to the other side.;):D
Besides my elation that you've joined, I've found the most stimulating Java-talk :rolleyes:right here on your intruduction!:p Something tells me both you and the Great "Eagle" with "TwinHeads" have already sung the funeral song for the scourge!:cool: Lastly, thank you for penning (typing) the most engaging introduction I've come upon in recent memory, and I'll quote what our Exterminator20 so pleasantly decrees, "Hope you stay active in the forums".:):)

Aliciatbd

Thread author
Aug 22, 2014
Thanks for the welcomes. Cats-4_Owners-2 You may have been a day late, but I am about a week late responding. Work during the week always gets in the way of other things i would rather be doing. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to be working on removing Malware, but it is work....... the meaning of work by definition does not usually mean fun, unless you are one of the few who get to do a job the love.

I think that is the most emoticons I have seen in one paragraph...... I use them because if I don't people misinterpret my meaning. Such as I mean this...:Dand I get this... :( I am positive it is my fault so I usually use them a pile, but you are a pro!

Anywhoooo....thanks again for the welcomes and hopefully everyone is enjoying their Labor Day if they get one.

Reactions: Cowpipe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.