Disclaimer

This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Bryan320

Level 5
Never thought I would see the day when Microsoft windows defender would be at top. Here is one of the most bizarre things i'v noticed when Microsoft first released Microsoft security essentials in 2009 I was a beta tester of the product. Back then Microsoft security essentials was a top product even in beta it detected sooo much. Then after the first 3 years the product fell and became mediocre especially going into the windows 8.1 times it sucked.... I just hope they continue the improvements of the product and don't let it fall to the ground again.

Raiden

Level 17
Verified
Content Creator
Is 93% vs 95% a big enough difference to call it “very bad”?
To some it is lol.

I always laugh when I read comments from people all over the web stating a product like Eset is garbage because is scored 98.5% on an AV comparatives test. Personally I feel like some people have very unrealistic expectations when it comes to these tests. I mean considering the amount of malware out there, if a product scores 85% + in my books, especially against very new/tough malware, its considered a good score. Some how, the passing grade seems to have become 99%+ and unless you reach that score it's considered garbage.

Take the HUB for example, the sense that I get is that all that people look for is the final infection status, not how many fresh malware did it catch. People just assume that if the system is infected, it's crap. Yet, we all know that no product is perfect and can miss things, so I am confused why we can understand this, but some how ignore that fact when there's a test. Furthermore, I don't if people notice this, but how many times do you see 17 out of 20 (for example) caught, but the system is clean. So the question now becomes, is the system really infected and the product being tested along with the second opinion scanners missed it as well? Do we know for sure nothing was changed without our knowledge, and/or is it quite simply the malware doesn't run on a VM? So yes the system is protected, but it didn't detect all the malware, so we can say that yes it did it's job, but it still missed samples, so from a detection standpoint it's not 100%.

Like with any test, it should be taken with a grain of salt, but overall one always needs to look at the big picture, not just focusing on the green bars on the graphs.

Bryan320

Level 5
Raiden, I agree I use F secure and although it didn't score 100% it's performance is amazing and very light. It constantly checks for updates and never lets the application fall behind. plus deepguard is amazing and will pretty much detect anything the signatures miss it's a very simple product yet very effective.

Raiden

Level 17
Verified
Content Creator
Raiden, I agree I use F secure and although it didn't score 100% it's performance is amazing and very light. It constantly checks for updates and never lets the application fall behind. plus deepguard is amazing and will pretty much detect anything the signatures miss it's a very simple product yet very effective.
At the end of the day that's what matters.

No product is perfect, whether it's protection related, or other factors such as performance, ease of use etc... It's understanding that for home users the vast majority of products, including WD do an excellent job. You just need to use which one works best for you, meets your needs best and overall make you happy to use it. Like I always say, your overall security is further impacted by your computing habits. Just picking a product that gets 99-100% on a test is not enough. What happens on that day it does miss something because you practice unsafe habits and didn't backup our data. It doesn't matter that it got 100% on an SE test or else where, your data is gone and there's no getting it back, but don't worry, that product did score 100% on a test and got a badge, so how can this have happened.;):p