Seagate launches BarraCuda SSD targeting mainstream users

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Facepalm: Seagate hasn't had much to do with the consumer SSD market and it's new BarraCuda drives aren't all that exciting. If nothing else, perhaps they'll inspire the company to strive for more with future offerings.

Seagate this week launched a new consumer-grade solid state drive that arrives just in time for Amazon’s Prime Day shopping event.

The Seagate BarraCuda SSD looks like your run-of-the-mill 2.5-inch, SATA 6Gb/s drive. Manufactured in capacities of 250GB, 500GB, 1TB and 2TB, the drive boasts maximum sequential read and write speeds of 540 MB/s and 520MB/s, respectively, and comes backed by a five-year limited warranty.
The 250GB, 500GB and 1TB drives are already listed on Amazon priced at $74.99, $119.99 and $229.99, respectively, as part of Amazon’s early Prime Day festivities. Amazon’s mega shopping event returns on July 16 but the company has put a ton of items on sale in the lead-up, much like it does with pre-Black Friday deals.

If you’d prefer to wait for broader availability, that’ll reportedly happen in September.
Pricing and availability of Seagate’s 2TB drive remain unknown.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Not Decent prices but still sata. So so so sad for them. They are a few years behind but maybe next year they will grow up and do m.2 nvme.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I guess I did not see that they were using SATA in this drive because their enterprise SSD uses pcie.
The article said it looks like a run of the mill SATA HDD.

EDIT: ok I looked at the spec sheet and it shows it come with a SATA 3 & 6 gig SATA ports.

Reactions: Weebarra

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I guess I did not see that they were using SATA in this drive because their enterprise SSD uses pcie.
The article said it looks like a run of the mill SATA HDD.

EDIT: ok I looked at the spec sheet and it shows it come with a SATA 3 & 6 gig SATA ports.
I actually take back my comment. Just saw the gb given again and they are giving a decent deal. Worth it that anyone that is still on an hdd and needs more than 250Gb of space.

Reactions: Weebarra

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
Not great prices and still sata. So so so sad for them. They are a few years behind but maybe next year they will grow up and do m.2 nvme.

My SSD is still SATA. I'm waiting for M.2 to become a bit cheaper before adding one of those to my system :) But, SATA definitely isn't bad. It's just not as fast as the (more expensive) M.2 drives.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
My SSD is still SATA. I'm waiting for M.2 to become a bit cheaper before adding one of those to my system :) But, SATA definitely isn't bad. It's just not as fast as the (more expensive) M.2 drives.
I edited myself as i made an error on pricing. Basically i thought the drives were 128/256/512gb like normally.

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
I edited myself as i made an error on pricing. Basically i thought the drives were 128/256/512gb like normally.

I saw your comment, complaining about the high prices and I thought, "It must have been a while since I looked at SATA for those to be bad prices." :ROFLMAO:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.