Search redirects to Bing and chat room request pop-ups

Rodger Rodger

Thread author
Feb 11, 2017
I use google chrome as my primary browser. My default search engine is google, however when I type into the search bar every once in a while it will redirect me to Bing and I have to close the tab and open a different one to get it to search with google. There are also occasional random pop-ups for an obviously fake chat room with a message request. These pop-ups and redirects do not happen every time I search or open Chrome. They seem random to some degree, and are more annoying than malicious. However, this is a new thing that has been happening and I know it is not supposed to happen.

I searched for what malware this might be and didn't find anything that fits the description, so I don't actually know what it is. I tried using Malwarebytes, and it removed 3 files, but it didn't tell me their original file location and I am still having the problems from before. More scans with Malwarebytes don't find anymore malicious files, so they are probably hidden or encrypted (I don't actually know, I have pretty basic computer knowledge so correct me if that sounds dumb).

Also, I'm sorry I didn't include a FRST scan result. I downloaded the software and tried to run it, but it isn't opening and I just don't feel like hassling to fix that problem as well. I've been trying to fix this for several hours. :(

Thanks for any help you can offer though, I really appreciate it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.