Battle Secondary Scanner -EEK 11 vs MBAM Free vs Crystal Security vs HMP

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Which is the best?
The sooner you realise, there is no actual best.

Resource usage shouldn't be a concern unless the PC hardware is old. Running on-demand scans can be intensive on the CPU, depending what's being scanned. It's better to leave the PC, until the scan has completed.

On-demand scanners have limited features, but you may get options such as PUP detection and scheduled scanning. Everything else will require manual interaction, ie. Updates.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Agree on ZAM, very good second opinion scanner, avaiable for free (no real-time-protection though).
I've also employed HMP paid (because of HMP.A). I find the detection rate of ZAM best, was not that happy with MBAM regarding this. EEK is nice, but very much dependant on BD engine. AFAIK, ZAM includes this engine, HMP definitely does.
As long as you don't ask HMP to remove found threats, you can use the scanner for free, even after the 30 days trial. But I would suggest purchasing it, just because of HMP.A.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Well you have to look which ones are online and which ones can still serve you offline, in case of suspected infection, turning off the internet is usually advised. ZAM(online) for me and MBAM(offline) for its removal abilities. Crystal security is a standout in malware hub, might give it a go.

Last edited:

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Like Rishi said ZAM and MBAM both have their qualities and bad qualities ZAM is by far the better between the two at detection with its cloud scanners MBAM I'd say is better at removal. I'll have to test crystal security but It's still in beta right?

Last edited:

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
upload_2016-2-1_2-53-4.png
from official website.

A

Alkajak

Thread author
Very little love for herdProtect on these boards. It's still relatively new, but it has been an amazing second-opinion scanner right out of the gates. Yes, there are a few false positives here and there, but you can't really complain with 68 engines.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I don't want honestly to compare them because if we are talking on engines covered then of course Crystal Security, Zemana AM, HMP will result to rely by users immediately. However we should consider as companion based to remove those threats step by step.

MBAM, Emsisoft Emergency Kit and few others mainly focus on disinfection method to ensure none of them may cause issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.