Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I found this GREAT FREE program which can help to protect your files from all kind of Ransomware.
At the end is my video test and here is article from ghacks.net about this program.
The program is Abandonware but is working very good. :)

======================================================================================

Secure Folders is a free program for Windows that is available as a portable version and installer. It can be used to hide or lock folders, set them to read-only or block the execution of files.

If you share your computer at times, for instance in your family or when friends or colleagues ask you whether they can access it, then you may want an option to protect certain files or folders from accidental exposure.

Maybe you don't want someone else to spot your Justin Bieber wallpaper collection, financial documents or video files that you have downloaded from the Internet. Whatever it is, Windows does not really provide options to protect data from others if the same account is being used.

Note: it is best obviously to use different accounts, for instance a guest account for occasional users and accounts for colleagues or family members who work with the PC regularly.

Encryption is a solution but only if you keep the data encrypted while the computer is being used. It won't help you if the encrypted drive that you store all your secrets on is mounted at the time someone else accesses your PC.

Secure Folders is a free program for windows that offers basic protection. It is compatible with all supported versions of the operating system and supports four core modes of operation:

1. Hide folders - This hides the selected folder and all of its files in Windows Explorer, other file managers and on the system in general.
  2. Lock folders - The folder is still visible but it cannot be accessed while the protection is active.
  3. Read-only - The folder and the files it contains can be accessed but they cannot be changed, modified or deleted. It is furthermore not possible to create or copy files into the folder.
  4. No execution - Prevents the execution of files in the folder.
Simply drag and drop files or folders into the interface or use the add button to open a file browser to use it. The program displays a dialog when you do that you use to select the protection type you want to assign to the file or folders.

Wildcards are supported by the program as well which provide interesting functionality. You can change the file or folder path using the keyboard to add wildcards to protect certain file types or files with a certain name in the folder, or even system wide.

This enables you to hide all jpg images on the system for example, block the execution of bat files, or lock document file types.

A whitelist is provided as well to allow the execution of selected applications regardless of the protection settings.

You can password protect the Secure Folders interface, assign keyboard shortcuts for fast access, and enable or disable protection with a simple switch in the interface or shortcut.

In addition to all that, it can also be run from the command line.

Closing Words

While I cannot say if the protection will withstand experienced users it is certainly sufficient to keep less tech-savvy users from doing so.

It is interesting to note that it is not enough to terminate the process of the application in Windows to disable the protection.

So, if you are looking for a simple to use program that is offering quite an interesting assortment of protection options, then you may want to give this one a try to see if it fits the bill for you.

SOURCE

My video test:

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I have been using it last year. However my EAM branded it as malware so I remove it. Is this software still being developed?

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
It's Abandon but works perfectly (for now) :).

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Just see one great thing!!!
You can protect files but just adding extensions like: *.mp3, *.txt, *.docx...

Clipboard01.png

Last edited:

Deepviz

Level 1
Verified
Feb 27, 2016
Can someone explain the results of this analysis?
Deepviz Malware Analyzer - Scan analysis for sample: bc75ed68bd5a50af1cfcbccfa06e7e7b

Is this web page legit: sandbox.deepviz.com ?

I send ADWCleaner and it also said it's Malware (CLICK)

Hello from Deepviz Support Team :) Yes, it's legit....at least we have been told so :D (I'm kidding, of course :) )

Our malware analyzer automatically analyze and classify malware using AI algorithms. We marked SecureFolders as malware because of many suspicious behaviors (and the fact that their website doesn't work anymore isn't really a positive plus ;)) . Anyway our engineers will go through it shortly and fix the eventual false positive.

I really hope this answers your questions. Please don't hesitate and get in touch with us for further issues/questions.

Deepviz Support Team

Andi.HR

Level 2
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Hello from Deepviz Support Team :) Yes, it's legit....at least we have been told so :D (I'm kidding, of course :) )

Our malware analyzer automatically analyze and classify malware using AI algorithms. We marked SecureFolders as malware because of many suspicious behaviors (and the fact that their website doesn't work anymore isn't really a positive plus ;)) . Anyway our engineers will go through it shortly and fix the eventual false positive.

I really hope this answers your questions. Please don't hesitate and get in touch with us for further issues/questions.

Deepviz Support Team

Hi,
What about AdwCleaner and VoodoShield who's your analisys clasified about 99% malcious???

Last edited:
Reactions: Av Gurus

Andi.HR

Level 2
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
I think that your AI Algorithm needs some fixing!
It is to many False Positive detections who say for legit application that is 98-99% malcious!
I understand that says 20-30% but 99% !?!

Reactions: Av Gurus

Deepviz

Level 1
Verified
Feb 27, 2016
I think that your AI Algorithm needs some fixing!
It is to many False Positive detections who say for legit application that is 98-99% malcious!
I understand that says 20-30% but 99% !?!

We are working everyday to improve our technology and despite the false positives you're reporting we have quite efficient 0-day detection of many new malware. The fact that we're here and trying to get those false positives fixed should give you the idea of the hard job we're doing behind the scenes. Thanks for your comment and your feedback.

Andi.HR

Level 2
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
What do you need?
I provide you a link to analysis like you ask!
If you need installation files of those programs, just download it from internet!

BTW: What this means "Undefined" analysis?
Image 5.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.