Security Breach Exposed More Than One Million DNA Profiles On A Major Genealogy Database

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
On July 19, genealogy enthusiasts who use the website GEDmatch to upload their DNA information and find relatives to fill in their family trees got an unpleasant surprise. Suddenly, more than a million DNA profiles that had been hidden from cops using the site to find partial matches to crime scene DNA were available for police to search. The news has undermined efforts by Verogen, the forensic genetics company that purchased GEDmatch last December, to convince users that it would protect their privacy while pursuing a business based on using genetic genealogy to help solve violent crimes.

A second alarm came on July 21, when MyHeritage, a genealogy website based in Israel, announced that some of its users had been subjected to a phishing attack to obtain their log-in details for the site — apparently targeting email addresses obtained in the attack on GEDmatch just two days before.
gedmatch-com.png

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Its bad enough having passwords and such like stolen, but they can be changed, I don't fancy having a DNA transplant!

I hope that people who unthinkingly upload more and more of their data, and selves, think seriously now before doing so. I suspect that its a waste of time hoping much as people have been trained to 'like', 'share'# etc etc and probably don't 'like' articles like this as it won't enter their filter bubbles.

Another article on this story -

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.