Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Pindrop Gathers Insight Into the Robocall Scourge:

A robocall is a phone call that uses a computerized autodialer to deliver a pre-recorded message, as if from a robot. Robocalls are often associated with political and telemarketing phone campaigns, but can also be used for public-service or emergency announcements. Some robocalls use personalized audio messages to simulate an actual personal phone call. (SOURCE: Wikipedia)

Over a five-month period, Pindrop Security collects and analyzes 100,000 fraudulent calls to a robocall honeypot called phoneypot....

3862133361_bb7d22f16d.jpg

While most of us dread being the recipient of a robocall, Aude Marzuoli actually looks to attract and collect fraudulent calls to her robocall honeypot, aka, the phoneypot. Marzuoli, a data scientist at Pindrop Security, first provided details about the phoneypot and a sample of 100,000 calls it collected in the first half of 2016 during a session at the Black Hat USA security conference last week..

What Marzuoli didn't know before conducting the study was how much, or little, infrastructure it takes to place 100,000 calls. As it turns out, more than half (51 percent) of the calls the phoneypot recorded could be attributed to only 38 distinct telephony infrastructures. Marzuoli defines a telephony infrastructure as a grouping of phone numbers and back-end call centers operated by a phone fraud group. Pindrop's technology platform provides a voice fingerprinting capability that was used to help analyze recorded calls from the phoneypot

In conducting the phoneypot research, Marzuoli and Pindrop faced a number of challenges, including making sure that attackers didn't know which phone numbers are owned by Pindrop. The study looked at a sample of 100,000 out of 1 million calls received by Pindrop between February and June 2016...

To read the full article please visit the link at the top of the page

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I voted yes :)

But I have already received a call with a real girl saying :
"hello, it seems you wanted to speak with me, call me back"...
=> Spoke very fast, without letting me the time to answer, and hang up ... :rolleyes::D

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I voted yes :)

But I have already received a call with a real girl saying :
"hello, it seems you wanted to speak with me, call me back"...
=> Spoke very fast, without letting me the time to answer, and hang up ... :rolleyes::D
Aren't you the lucky one?....getting calls from REAL girls :D..
Perhaps she was a "Furry" fan with a penguin fetish,and was about to run out of call-credit.
That,my friend, was a golden opportunity squandered..:rolleyes:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Aren't you the lucky one?....getting calls from REAL girls :D..
Perhaps she was a "Furry" fan with a penguin fetish,and was about to run out of call-credit.
That,my friend, was a golden opportunity squandered..:rolleyes:
lol ! You made me thinking, now ... May be she could have been my "future ex-wife" ! :eek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.