Malware News Security Update for Adobe Reader available January 19, 2017 (Out of Band)

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
I checked for Updates via the Check for Updates option in Adobe Reader. I had already installed the previously one on January 10th. No security bulletin has been posted yet (it is unclear), but I assume it's important - and possibly a 0-day. When I clicked on Details, it took me here (Details Link).

Be careful out there guys!

The update prompt says it contains updates for security vulnerabilities and customer issues. I am using Adobe Reader DC version and 15.023.20053 before the update. I may wait until release notes are posted, but that's just me.

Also, watch out for a new attack via just browsing the web. I use ESET Smart Security 9 and Zemana Anti-Malware (Won from MalwareTips giveaway), and it cleaned a DNS hijacking issue (127.0.0.0). It was from a common news site. As usual, with the inauguration coming up, watch for the potential for news site malware and SPAM.

Use caution, especially with browsers.

New releases will come next week.

Also check their PSIRT blog tomorrow:

Adobe Product Security Incident Response Team (PSIRT) Blog

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I use ESET Smart Security 9 and Zemana Anti-Malware (Won from MalwareTips giveaway), and it cleaned a DNS hijacking issue (127.0.0.0).
I think this is an false positive rather than an actual DNS attack, as 127.0.0.0 is used for loopback. I am not sure though - eset does not have such addresses in the safe list so any info from more knowledgeable members here are welcome :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.