Security wise, is there much of an advantage to using portable software?

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
I'm aware that portable software are great in the fact that you don't need to reinstall then every time you clean install windows, but what about on the security front? Are they more secure than the versions being installed on your PC?

What are your thoughts on the matter?

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Well, they simply use the good old .ini files instead of the windows registry. About security, it depends on what you mean by "Security". Usually any other user or person who has access to the folder where the portable product is located can edit it's .ini configuration and change/damage the program. It's not the same with protected locations such as Program Files/Windows Registry (you need UAC Bypass). Portable software might also be limited in functionality compared to the regular installed one. Other than this I don't see a difference in security, I would almost always choose installable software and would only use portable one if I need to run it just once or from a USB.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I use portable apps all the time.
If you scan the USB with an antivirus (More than one is advised) on a regular basis and dont let others use it then there should be no reason why they are not safe.
One last thing make sure you download them from a reputable site, that way you know they have no hidden nasties!!

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

I use portable apps all the time.
If you scan the USB with an antivirus (More than one is advised) on a regular basis and dont let others use it then there should be no reason why they are not safe.
One last thing make sure you download them from a reputable site, that way you know they have no hidden nasties!!
What do you mean by "more than one is advised"? You mean on-demand scanners, right?

Reactions: Andytay70

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
I use Zemana portable version & Firefox portable on my laptop in order to avoid a lot of processes running all the time and i use these softwares when needed.

Reactions: Winter Soldier
D

Deleted member 178

I'm aware that portable software are great in the fact that you don't need to reinstall then every time you clean install windows, but what about on the security front? Are they more secure than the versions being installed on your PC?
Security wise, they are just same as installed ones. However , if you put them on usb , and the usb is unplugged while your system is infected, you won't loose the settings. Also, by not being installed, you reduce the surface attacks.

except that, i don't see much more benefits.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Malware can sometimes block access to security vendors websites, prevent you from installing security software or prevent your security software from connecting to the internet so it can't receive signature updates. Keeping a bunch of portable second opinion scanners on a spare flash drive can be a godsend and allow you to scan and remove said malware.
It's also great if you're the family IT guy/gal and you can simply bring along a flash drive and/or a rescue disk to remove any potential infection they may have.

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Portable apps may have some security issues: anyone who has access to the files of the portable application, he has access also to the information contained in them. For example, if you lose a USB device/key with a browser in portable version with stored your passwords (if not encrypted), anyone who finds the USB key, will have access to the sites where you have stored the credentials (Social, bank, email, etc...).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.