Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft collects Windows diagnostic data to keep Windows up-to-date, secure, and operating properly. It also helps us improve Windows and, for users who have turned on “tailored experiences”, can be used to provide relevant tips and recommendations to tailor Microsoft products to the user’s needs. This article describes all types diagnostic data collected by Windows at the Full telemetry level (inclusive of data collected at Basic), with comprehensive examples of data we collect per each type. For additional, detailed technical descriptions of Basic data items, see Windows 10, version 1703 Basic level diagnostic events and fields.

The data covered in this article is grouped into the following categories:
  • Common Data (diagnostic header information)
Common Data Information that is added to most diagnostic events, if relevant and available:
  • OS name, version, build, and locale
  • User ID -- a unique identifier associated with the user's Microsoft Account (if one is used) or local account. The user's Microsoft Account identifier is not collected from devices configured to send Basic diagnostic data
  • Xbox UserID
  • Environment from which the event was logged -- Application ID of app or component that logged the event, Session GUID. Used to track events over a given period of time such the period an app is running or between boots of the OS.
  • The diagnostic event name, Event ID, ETW opcode, version, schema signature, keywords, and flags
  • HTTP header information including IP address. This is not the IP address of the device but the source address in the network packet header received by the diagnostics ingestion service.
  • Various IDs that are used to correlate and sequence related events together.
  • Device ID. This is not the user provided device name, but an ID that is unique for that device.
  • Device class -- Desktop, Server, or Mobile
  • Event collection time
  • Diagnostic level -- Basic or Full, Sample level -- for sampled data, what sample level is this device opted into
  • Device, Connectivity, and Configuration data
  • Product and Service Usage data
  • Product and Service Performance data
  • Software Setup and Inventory data
  • Content Consumption data
  • Browsing, Search and Query data
  • Inking, Typing, and Speech Utterance data
  • Licensing and Purchase data
Learn more about Windows 10, version 1703 Diagnostic Data (Windows 10)

OPTIONAL - For Poll, see your Settings in Windows Privacy.
upload_2017-6-5_21-20-11.png

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Telemetry servers blocked with custom host file, telemetry disabled by outbound ports and ip addresses blocks, also by using
ShutUp 10. and a few other tricks and tweaks :) I was unsure what category to vote for Spawn seeing you don't have a
"Gagged and Hog tied" option :p

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
o&o SU10 is enough for me, I don't want to break down Windows ;) also Microsoft is able to collect my data whenever they want regardless of these settings, so why keep these settings enabled? heh ;)

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
o&o SU10 is enough for me, I don't want to break down Windows ;) also Microsoft can is able to collect my data whenever they want regardless of these settings, so why keep these settings enabled? heh ;)
I think your right, I do a lot to make it "harder" for them, I know it won't 100% stop it, but I bet if I did stop it,
MS could just get it during a update making my setting useless. rofl

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Full with tailored experience, and activated even more deeply hidden telemetry through the group policy myself as I am running a Release Preview ring. I want to go to fast but unfortunately I need stability for now and this makes me sad.

Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Basic without Tailored experience (disabled)

Feedback Frequency = Never

Reactions: AtlBo

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
My brother and I are upgrading to Windows 10 right now. I had upgraded already once, but I had to go back to Windows 7 because of driver issues. Apparently, the only thing I had to do was change brightness to -1 in driver settings. :D

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
My brother and I are upgrading to Windows 10 right now. I had upgraded already once, but I had to go back to Windows 7 because of driver issues. Apparently, the only thing I had to do was change brightness to -1 in driver settings. :D
Great news, hoping it all goes well for you. ;)

Reactions: Oxygen and Marko :)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Have it set at "Full with Tailored experience " nothing traceable to me I have on the computer so its not worth my effort to go about and disable everything. :p

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.