Last updated
Feb 6, 2019
Windows Edition
Home
Security updates
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
f-secure AV beta, chrome extension disabled. F-secure with Avira signatures and with its updated DeepGuard is a good combo.
Zonealarm Firewall Pro (ring 0 kernel firewall driver, loads way before WFP one. Good against malware that connects to CC servers during early boot-up). Very difficult to kill via powershell.
Spyshelter Premium for HIPS and Keystroke encryption. Early start "ticked" for sure.
OS Armor with custom ruleset (btw, spyshelter rocks vs OS Armor, because OS Armor does not seem to use Raw Disc Access, which many ransomwares does to encrypt the files, for sure, Spyshelter is a winner here).
Many ransomwares can encrypt files, only because of that they can access "raw filesystem". Spyshelter is good agains that, because its work on the early boot. Sure its a fight whose driver starts ealier than malware/spyshelter.
What i know, Zonealarm with Spyshelter is really good combo against early kernel/boot malwares and an access to malware cc servers etc.
-sepik
Firewall security
About custom security
See Above
Periodic malware scanners
Power Eraser, adwcleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Nano AD Blocker, HTML5 Autoplay Disabler, WebRTC Blocker
Maintenance tools
Privazer and Wise Disk Cleaner
File and Photo backup
Macrium reflect
System recovery
Macrium reflect
Risk factors
    • Gaming
Computer specs
i5
256 SSD
1tb HDD
16GB
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@sepik:
  • Do You mean You are using in real-time protection: F-Secure AV beta + Zonealarm Firewall Pro + Spyshelter Premium + NVT OSA :eek: seems a bit overkill...
  • Enable SmartScreen.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free.
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or/not only in cloud.
  • Update W10 to build 1809.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

sepik

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
@harlan4096
Yes: AV+Firewall(no wfp)+HIPS with Keystroke Encyption and with ps1,vbs, cmd disabled (ask mode)
Smartscreen: theres no need to enable it, see above. You dont need it.
Backups: with macrium weekly. Backups are made to external HDD. External backup folder is protected by Spyshelter folder protection.
Update: i'll update to 1809 when its available via windows update
Suspicious files, if some, are ran with spyshelter resstriced mode aka "poor mans sandbox" which prevents any write access to windir
.sepi

Reactions: harlan4096

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Whilst all 4 layers are covered, I would state this setup is way too overkill for what you need, stick to F-Secure Beta AV w/ ZA Firewall Pro. Spyshelter + OSArmor are not needed at all here. With good browsing habits you shouldn't fall pray to much.

You may add ScriptSafe extension to your web browser.

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.