Shade Sandbox - Free Anti-Malware Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Interesting to have a new player in terms of virtualization, so it should only take more time to be mature in order other programs to run them smoothly under the sandbox condition.

I might give this a test in upcoming weeks.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
think I run a malware inside sandboxu.it is clear to me that this is just a sandbox. .-))

Reactions: Logethica

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes it is , it is what they said, they never claimed to be a scanner

Website is misleading, it reads: "Get FREE Anti-Malware Protection" and "SHADE Anti-Malware".

upload_2015-10-6_18-21-1.png

upload_2015-10-6_18-25-18.png

• Solid protection against new and unknown threats
  • No more unwanted installs of status-bars, addons, applications, etc.
  • Safe to open suspicious links and web-sites blocked by site-advisors
  • No computer slow down. Simple to use
  • Superb protection together with any antivirus software
  • No signature updates
  • All threats are trapped inside sandbox - no touch of a real system
You can install anything in the Shade Sandbox, while it doesn't affect your main system, it doesn't (or hasn't) prevented some the claims above. I'm aware it's in its infancy.

D

Deleted member 178

So it let install toolbars in sandboxed browser, but does the toolbars and others addons are kept when exited?

If it block malwares to infect the real system, so it is an anti-malware.

Reactions: darko999

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So it let install toolbars in sandboxed browser, but does the toolbars and others addons are kept when exited?

If it block malwares to infect the real system, so it is an anti-malware.

I disagree.

An anti-malware solution detects and stops (quarantines) threats from running. Running malware in an isolated environment, without detection methods is not anti-malware. It's just a sandboxing / isolation solution, similar to SBIE, it prevents system changes when isolated but does not detect/block/stop malware from running in the first instance.

Speculating on what you wrote, you would consider Toolwiz Time Freeze, Unchecky, VirtualBox and Rollback RX all anti-malware? Because they don't keep the changes upon exit or reboot.

Shade Sandbox is not an anti-malware product, there's nothing in the software to flag down malicious software. Their marketing on their website is completely misleading.

D

Deleted member 178

Isolating is also stopping to reach the critical areas of the OS , as blocking/deleting.

I dont talk about categorization here but word significance.

They are right in a wider general interpretation, but for security geeks like us the term antimalware is more specific to a class of product.

Anti = against

Do their soft protect against malware ? Yes. So they are right.

I admit they use the term for marketting but they aren't wrong.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Shade is a manual sandbox, pure and simple; essentially Sandboxie without the configuration options (which I feel on the whole is a very good thing). It is actually rather elegant in its simplicity.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Interesting to have a new player in terms of virtualization, so it should only take more time to be mature in order other programs to run them smoothly under the sandbox condition.

I might give this a test in upcoming weeks.
looking forward for your test
virtualization is pretty new on the market I do believe within a year from now we will see more of them.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ilya

Level 1
Oct 7, 2015
Hi everybody :)
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Your opinion is very important to us, so we can improve and make our product better.
Please, continue to share what you think should be improved :)

P.S. Cybergenic in registered in US, so it's basically an American company, even though we are originally Russians.
And, please, feel free to ask questions.

Ilya,
Cybergenic

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Umbra- I'm actually putting one together. Hope to have it done by Sunday.

I'm actually glad that Cybergenic (sounds like a Pharmaceutical company for Robots) has a presence here. Sandboxie was fixed about 36 hours after my video; we'll see how long it takes Shade.

H

hjlbx

Shade is a manual sandbox, pure and simple; essentially Sandboxie without the configuration options (which I feel on the whole is a very good thing). It is actually rather elegant in its simplicity.

Already have Shadow Defender... manual, as simple as it can get, long-standing track-record of being rock-solid...

Configurability is what enables Sandboxie to be so versatile and greatly increases security...

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
But how many users actually understand SB enough to configure it correctly? Although personally I'm not a fan of manual sandboxes (a wrong decision invariably ends in tears), I prefer simplicity over complexity when the protection levels are similar.

H

hjlbx

But how many users actually understand SB enough to configure it correctly? Although personally I'm not a fan of manual sandboxes (a wrong decision invariably ends in tears), I prefer simplicity over complexity when the protection levels are similar.

Unfortunately, for all of us - from novice to techno geek, there are no One Click solutions in life.

If there were, I'd choose the one that dispenses loads of cash... and I'd transition from security softs to Ferraris and Star Bucks... :D

Any how, Sandboxie's configuration eases the pain. Like most things, some effort to learn is required.

As you know I'm a Comodo user as well. So I understand your perspective. I agree with you 100 % = simple is much better.

However, after using various security softs, Sandboxie - to me - is comparatively simple to learn, use and has decent compatibility with little resource impact, and is even more secure than Comodo sandbox (which is quite robust in it's own right).

I tried using Comodo firewall as a Sandboxie replacement. I thought it offered a complete package deal. I thought, "Gee, one package will be more simple than cobbling SBIE + WFC + AE together... less administration."

It didn't work out that way...

It would be, if it didn't mess with or break every-day, legitimate, safe apps... for example, Comodo's sandbox breaks or messes with a lot of websites running browsers sandboxed.

You see, I'm an advocate of running browsers sandboxed. The browser is the gateway to all the nasty stuff. Virtualization is the best solution to deal with it. Sandboxie's features make it very secure while incurring very little inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Sandboxie and Shade are just primarily example of a few clicks to established a setup, these are not autosandbox part which acts like from Comodo so literally a little effort but may consider to be simple.

Things makes it complicated when more configuration can be tweak in order to harden it.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Is this next version will be also free or...?
... when, roughly, will come the next version?

Reactions: Moose
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.