Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
So I am trying Shadow defender which i got from here and honestly i am not really familiar with it so bear with me.
Does anyone have an issue when getting in and out of shadow mode that windows search index resets and has to rebuild all the time? And if yes is there a fix?

I want to try stuff while in shadow mode for convenience and this seems like the best way but not if i have to rebuild my windows index every time.

Thanks for any help.

PS i whitelisted this with no result. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows

Thinking it some registry key i need to whitelist but no idea what and google search doesn't help.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

So I am trying Shadow defender which i got from here and honestly i am not really familiar with it so bear with me.
Does anyone have an issue when getting in and out of shadow mode that windows search index resets and has to rebuild all the time? And if yes is there a fix?

I want to try stuff while in shadow mode for convenience and this seems like the best way but not if i have to rebuild my windows index every time.

Thanks for any help.

PS i whitelisted this with no result. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows

Thinking it some registry key i need to whitelist but no idea what and google search doesn't help.

This happens even if Search Index is fully updated prior to entering Shadow Mode ?

H

hjlbx

Yeah it seems like it. Index it's there and it decides randomly to rebuild it.

Mehhhh... sounds like technical issue that needs to be reported to Tony - the developer.

You can try reporting to SDMod at Wilders SD thread - he is in regular contact with Tony. Otherwise, you can try directly through SD support.

In my experience using SDMod is easier - and faster... but it still takes a week or more...

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yeah i will report it eventually as it seems it's not something known. I am just trying to figure this out and if default locations are ok. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
H

hjlbx

Yeah i will report it eventually as it seems it's not something known. I am just trying to figure this out and if default locations are ok. Thanks for your help.

Believe me when I tell you I tried - and tried - and tried - to create customized exceptions in Shadow Defender to use it to boot into Shadow Mode so as to allow updates to be saved.

It's an area of the product where there is little to no guidance. Even Tony recommends not attempting it...

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Tbh i didn't even think of index up but recently i added all my drives in search index it's 150k files that need to be indexed so i noticed the cpu usage staying high for a long time and i had to investigate.
Might pay for the premium of macrium reflect and do the rapid restore and be done with it. Lol.

H

hjlbx

Tbh i didn't even think of index up but recently i added all my drives in search index it's 150k files that need to be indexed so i noticed the cpu usage staying high for a long time and i had to investigate.
Might pay for the premium of macrium reflect and do the rapid restore and be done with it. Lol.

You get MBR protection with Macrium Reflect.

I wondered about the rapid delta restore, but then thought... $70... it ain't worth it. In your case it would be though. My entire drive = 15 GB.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
You get MBR protection with Macrium Reflect.

I wondered about the rapid delta restore, but then thought... $70... it ain't worth it. In your case it would be though. My entire drive = 15 GB.
Yeah it might be worth it for me because normal restore to the ssd takes 20+ minutes which is an amount of time impatient me get crazy about.
Now that i think of it issue is that i restore from hdd(15-75MB/s max). So maybe you are right and me buying an ssd to backup and restore from will be a better investment. Will have to check prices i guess because in theory a mid level 256GB ssd will be same price as Macrium Pro.

H

hjlbx

Yeah it might be worth it for me because normal restore to the ssd takes 20+ minutes which is an amount of time impatient me get crazy about.
Now that i think of it issue is that i restore from hdd(15-75MB/s max). So maybe you are right and me buying an ssd to backup and restore from will be a better investment. Will have to check prices i guess because in theory a mid level 256GB ssd will be same price as Macrium Pro.

You can find external 256 GB SSD for about the same price as Macrium Reflect. You have to shop around.

Instead I use Lexar JumpDrive 20 128GB. I got it for $50.

In your case a 256 GB SSD will be better suited.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yeah seems like the better path. No clue why i didn't think about it before. Hdd are so obsolete for impatient people like me and manufactures figured this out and don't drop prices fast enough.
If i found your flash drive at 50 i would get one though. It seems like a very nice deal.

H

hjlbx

Yeah seems like the better path. No clue why i didn't think about it before. Hdd are so obsolete for impatient people like me and manufactures figured this out and don't drop prices fast enough.
If i found your flash drive at 50 i would get one though. It seems like a very nice deal.

$50 on Amazon, but make sure your USB ports have sufficient transfer rate capability to take fullest advantage. Same applies to SSD.

Lexar JumpDrive P20 USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Lexar recently announced updates to several of its JumpDrive line, including replacing its P10 drives with a faster, higher capacity P20 drives. The P20 is built for speed, and certainly delivers with reported transfer rates of 400MB/s read and 270MB/s write.Apr 27, 2015

SATA have an theoretical limit of 6 Gigabits per second and USB 3.0 have a theoretical limit of 5 Gigabits per second. So while in theory yes,the in the real world the difference isn't that big. It depends on which USB you are using. If you have SSD with USB 3.0, you can get max speed of 640MBps.

It's your thread so I know you don't mind the wandering thread topic... :D

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Will get a case for the ssd so i can connect the drive only when needed. It should be fine i guess i just need to find a proper case that will not limit my speed.
Will need to figure it out.

Btwi reported the "issue" to SD developer. Let's see if he can reproduce.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If anyone cares and maybe has a similar problem i "solved" it for now using 2 steps. I allowed index to only index outlook(without index outlook can't search in all mailboxes and just does current). Now for normal search to not be slow i grabbed the free version of Listary(no real limitation over paid option) and that does all the searching.
If i get a reply from the developer with a workaround or something i will post here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.