Shadow Defender slows down my system to a crawl after few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I am testing the latest shadow defender but it appears that after few minutes or after playing the game the system is down to crawl. Especially when copy pasting files, or attempting to do anything disk intensive it takes multiple seconds to a minute in order to respond.

I have the SD set with 9gb of ram in it's cache, my system has 32gb of ram.

I am using NOd32 Antivirus, Webroot Secure Anyhwere and Emisisoft Internet Security (with the real time scanner off, I want just the MAMUTU and the firewall). I am also using HITMAN PRO ALERT and WinAntiRansom.

N

Noxx

Real-time activated, or not, I can't see how NOD32 + Webroot + Emsisoft + Hitman Pro + WinAntiRansom AND Shadow Defender could possibly bode well performance wise. It's not even RAM that I think matters in this case, but rather all these different programs that are designed to run in real-time (especially emsisoft/webroot) conflicting with one another. I think you need to choose one of those first three programs, use HitmanPro + WinAntiRansom and try that with Shadow Defender. I personally use Zemana AntiMalware + Appguard + Sandboxie + WinAntiRansom + Shadow Defender with only 8GB of ram with 3.2 ghz quad-core processor and I'm not feeling a thing (gaming, or otherwise).

Last edited by a moderator:

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I have seen HMPA fail at few ransom files that WinANtiMalware defeated hence I got the WInANtiMalware.
I must say that true it is an overload (that's why I am a member of this site) but the system barely hiccups when I don't use Shadow Defender.

I have an 550 mb/s SSD drive that the system boots off, it's Overlocked 6x series I7 CPU at 5.2Ghz and 32gb of ram running a 980Ti card. The system barely makes a pip with all those other protections running but once I add Shadow Defender into the mix it's a totally different ball game.

One more thing I forgot to add...it's Windows 10 PRo 64 bit.

N

Noxx

Very odd. Again, my computer is nowhere near as powerful as yours, AND I have an HDD, not an SSD, and there's no performance impact. It's possible that Shadow Defender isn't keen working with one of your programs, but I don't think Shadow Defender itself is the problem. Consider removing some of your other programs while running with Shadow Defender and see if that makes a difference.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Very odd. Again, my computer is nowhere near as powerful as yours, AND I have an HDD, not an SSD, and there's no performance impact. It's possible that Shadow Defender isn't keen working with one of your programs, but I don't think Shadow Defender itself is the problem. Consider removing some of your other programs while running with Shadow Defender and see if that makes a difference.
Yeah I know same thing. I was like ok WTF I thought this thing was transparent! I would really love to use it! but I love the simplicity and the power of MAMUTU along with the Online Armor firewall (now that you can't have it separate like you used to before, you have to purchase as a part of EIS). I also like Webroot, I have 2 years left on them and I like their low footprint and the so called promise of roll back which I am yet to test and not fully trust. Then HMPA is my "better" replacement to EMET. WinANtiRansom is to fill the HMPA gap. So yeah there is some logic to my paranoid thinking.

Reactions: Noxx
N

Noxx

Yeah I know same thing. I was like ok WTF I thought this thing was transparent! I would really love to use it! but I love the simplicity and the power of MAMUTU along with the Online Armor firewall (now that you can't have it separate like you used to before, you have to purchase as a part of EIS). I also like Webroot, I have 2 years left on them and I like their low footprint and the so called promise of roll back which I am yet to test and not fully trust. Then HMPA is my "better" replacement to EMET. WinANtiRansom is to fill the HMPA gap. So yeah there is some logic to my paranoid thinking.

Yeah, I miss Online Armor. I'd probably still use it if I could. I still love EMSISOFT, but I have no present use of the full IS suite. Anyways, yeah, just keep experimenting.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
I am testing the latest shadow defender but it appears that after few minutes or after playing the game the system is down to crawl. Especially when copy pasting files, or attempting to do anything disk intensive it takes multiple seconds to a minute in order to respond.

I am using NOd32 Antivirus, Webroot Secure Anyhwere and Emisisoft Internet Security (with the real time scanner off, I want just the MAMUTU and the firewall). I am also using HITMAN PRO ALERT and WinAntiRansom.
Are you running HMP.A 3.1 build 369 and Shadow Defender 1.4.0.623...? and Fast Startup Off..?

D

Deleted member 178

I have SD on a 2gb Ram mini-laptop and SD run flawlessly

This setup is bloated and redundant. Don't wonder why your system is slow, every files/process you use will be monitored 3 times... and i imagine the I/O read/writes usage of you HDD...best way to reduce its lifetime.

did you do the required tweaks for this kind of setup? Did you add SD processes to each AV exceptions? did you add each processes of those AVs to the others AV's exception?

SD is by default monitored (not allowed) in webroot; so everything you do with SD is monitored and logged.

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Paranoid much ? lol :p
Thin out some of that overkill and i bet she speeds right up.
If you do thin it out some you may want to go over it with Ccleaner to clean up any residual junk leftover.
PeAcE

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
the simplicity and the power of MAMUTU along with the Online Armor firewall (now that you can't have it separate like you used to before, you have to purchase as a part of EIS).
Emsisoft Internet Security's firewall was developed from scratch, not from Online Armor.
You could replace ESET Nod32 Antivirus by using Emsisoft. If you have another computer, use ESET on there.

H

hjlbx

This sort of issue has been observed on my system as well - especially with "Set Write Cache to RAM" enabled.

Coincidentally, I also had Emsisoft Internet Security installed at that time.

So you might have to not use RAM cache and\or uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.

FYI - that system was AMD with HDD.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Like others said, even myself tested SD way back before; no system slowdowns must occur.

You need to eliminate few of your security setups cause one of them may bogged the system down.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I do not think that SD is the cause of your problem. Consider that many apps run background services even when not in real time.
You can use a process editor, such as Process Hacker to see redundant services but also consider possible overlaps in certain applications runtime.
True I fully understand that the other apps might be conflicting except the conflicts were not noticeable until I added SD. That's the only reason why I am pointing my finger at SD. Something in my setup does not play nice with SD.
I just removed the RAM thing and let's see how it goes.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Process Lasso is solid software too, with many functions to control usage.
If you lighten the load on your system it will hum like new again.
Glad your working on a solution.
PeAcE

Last edited:
Reactions: LabZero and frogboy

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

You said you were using the latest version, but can you say the version number it has? I'm asking because one of the updates states the following
Version 1.4.0.623 - April 14, 2016
Fixed: compatible with Windows Explorer replacement software.
Fixed: compatible with Emsisoft Internet Security.

Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
You said you were using the latest version, but can you say the version number it has? I'm asking because one of the updates states the following
Version 1.4.0.623 - April 14, 2016
Fixed: compatible with Windows Explorer replacement software.
Fixed: compatible with Emsisoft Internet Security.

Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool

yes I specifically updated to taht version, my 30 day trial ends in 9 days, currently at Version: 1.4.0.629. I just "shadowed" my system now. Will report in few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.